NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shimano is so secretive about releasing new big Stella reels, there is very few information if any though there is a rumor that the new reel will be available to the public soon.
I heard the new models will be 5000, 8000/10000 and 18000/20000.
After Yokohama (Tokyo) tackle show next month, we are going to have detailed information and pictures of the reels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stella Sw

I was visiting the Angler's Pro Shop website, they have some info on the Stella SW models. Not sure if this is the new model, or a Japanese model. The price will scare the heck out of you - $850 for the 20,000.

DBG

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
capttrav wrote:
Does anyone know if they are going with the magnesium or sticking with aluminum?

The older models should sell cheaper soon.

I read this from other site.

These pics are reported to be of the new Stella, a few changes with a thinner body making it lighter.The spool has a new longer angled lip for better better casts with less friction and the bail arm is shorter and thicker. Internally it still has the brass pinion gear and an aluminium alloy main gear. The main gear is surface treated with a plating process to make it stay smooth for longer. They choose smoothness over strengh. The reel is waterproof, has carbon and felt drag washers, worm shaft line lay, new stable spool system, and will be released first as a high ratio model for popping.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the update Kil. It will be interesting to see how they can improve a product that has been so time-tested and proven. The reel is already a quality product, and I wonder if the additional price will be supported by necessary, or truly worthwhile, improvements. I think the biggest potential improvement people will be looking at is the weight reduction, if any.

·
Registered
336 Posts
And now, the bad news. Price

Yen price of 20K 120,000
US dollar = .00944 Yen

Current price on new Stella 20K = $1,132.80

Somehow, those Stella 20K's that are on the current shelves aren't looking to bad!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I noticed there are some changes in line capacity, weights and gear ratio between old 10000/20000 model and new 10000/20000 model.

line capacity
There is a slight increase of line capacity on the new 10000.
While old 10000HG can hold 160 meter of PE8 (80 lbs), the new 10000 XG and PG can hold 186 meter of PE8.
And old 20000 and new 20000 models has the line capacity with 350 meter of PE8.

reel weights
The most noticeable deduction of reel weights is Stella 10000 model.
While the reel weight of old Stella 10000HG is 32 oz, the new model's is only 22.22 oz.

The weight of new 20000 model is also reduced by 2 oz from 32 oz to 30 oz.

gear ratio
While old 1000HG's grea ratio is 6.0:1, new 10000XG is 5.8:1 and 10000PG is 4.9:1.
There is no change of gear ratio bewteen old 20000 and new 20000.

Shimano also introduced new Stella 18000HG. It looks like a high gear ratio reel in capacity of 20000.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It could all change but right now it does not seem like they have doubled the quality of the reel for doubling the price of the reel. Its a broad statement I know, but when is it going to end.

Does anyone know if they plan to discontinue the stella FA, or are they going to have both models of the stella? Thanks

I may have to get a couple more of the old models if they discontinue, because I won't be buying many at $1100

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
capttrav wrote:
It could all change but right now it does not seem like they have doubled the quality of the reel for doubling the price of the reel. Its a broad statement I know, but when is it going to end.

Does anyone know if they plan to discontinue the stella FA, or are they going to have both models of the stella? Thanks

I may have to get a couple more of the old models if they discontinue, because I won't be buying many at $1100
It is not bad as you think. There is about 15 % price increase from 105,000 Yen of old 20000 model.
Keep in mind that the price is for Japanese version which usually include extra spool which cost over $150.
Export version reels should be around $900.

This post edited by KILSONG 05:57 PM 02/02/2008

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Japantackle starts to seel the new Stella.
The price is much higher than I thought.
I am going fish with old 8000, 16000 and 20000 for a while. :)

new stella

This post edited by KILSONG 10:02 AM 02/05/2008

·
Registered
20 Posts
stella

KILSONG wrote:
capttrav wrote:

It is not bad as you think. There is about 15 % price increase from 105,000 Yen of old 20000 model.
Keep in mind that the price is for Japanese version which usually include extra spool which cost over $150.
Export version reels should be around $900.

Kil,

I read somewhere that the japan version would no longer include extra spool.

Line capacity has not been an issue with older model.

lighter weight may not be such a good thing(sacrifice strenth?)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't see a lot of the current models becoming available because they are proven and all current owners love them. What if the new gears and the slightly lighter weight new ones don't prove to be any better. I own four of the FA 20K's and don't plan on selling any of them. I'm happy with them as are thousands of other anglers.:)

My opinion is that Shimano just needed to come out with a new version to create a buzz along with other new model spinners.
They are in business of selling reels. Just like the automobile industry. New models create sales. Some people just don't like to seen driving an older model even if the new one isn't any better than their old one.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mrbill1 wrote:
I don't see a lot of the current models becoming available because they are proven and all current owners love them. What if the new gears and the slightly lighter weight new ones don't prove to be any better. I own four of the FA 20K's and don't plan on selling any of them. I'm happy with them as are thousands of other anglers.:)

My opinion is that Shimano just needed to come out with a new version to create a buzz along with other new model spinners.
They are in business of selling reels. Just like the automobile industry. New models create sales. Some people just don't like to seen driving an older model even if the new one isn't any better than their old one.
Some might hesitate to buy the new Stella reels, but I am pretty sure many fishermen eventually jump on buying the reels as Shimano's propaganda is so powerful. :) I think the big winner among the new Stella reels is the new Stella 10000 as the old 10000 model is the most popular model and the new 10000 has slight more line capacity and they reduced the weight from 32 oz to 22.22 oz. It is not the same reel anymore.

This post edited by KILSONG 11:43 AM 02/07/2008

·
Registered
336 Posts
I still think something is wrong on the weight of the new 10K. How could they take off 30% of the weight and have more line capacity? I think it is a typo. Something just seems wrong to me with than much weight reduction. If they did in fact reduce it by 30% then what was removed? Will it be as strong?

Time will tell. I still think someone made an error when typing the weight of the new 10K.
Any gamblers out there that want to make a bet with me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.