NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new tog set-up, which I'm sure the wife will not appreciate IF she ever finds out. Got a St. Croix PM70MHF matched up with an Avet MXL 4.5:1. Got this set-up recommended by the shop owner, but was wondering if this set-up would be good for any other type of fishing like cod or sea bass. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
A buddy of mine has one similar to that his is 6'6" and is 17-40. He has used his for blackfish and offshore seabass. He also has an Avet on his. His is paired with the MXJ. I haven't seen it used for cod but don't see why it couldn't be used. The only thing for me is I personally don't like cork handles codfishing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response chonkol. I personally don't prefer the cork grips either but I'll play with the dealt cards. I was hoping for some more opinions since this is my first conventional set-up, but oh well.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
BassWanted

Hi,

Enjoy your new set up.

Did you place this same post on the Inshore board? Did you do a search on that rod model #? There is a ton of info in the archives. You may be surprised on both fronts.

You will get more hits on the Inshore board as more anglers go there on a daily basis.

Neil

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
Hi Basswanted - I like your sceen name by the way. It could have been my boat's name some seasons. ;)

That setup will work well in many different fisheries. First off, I have long recommended you new rod's shorter brother, the PM66MHF for almost every type of inshore fishing. I have crew that loves it for tog, inshore and off, bass jigging along the beaches every Fall, and even bass chumming in the inlets and up in the Bay. A very versatile stick.

Your rod, with the same great and powerful action, is a tad longer, which many do prefer - especially when fishing off tall boats, like headboats.

I have a VERY good friend who uses his PM70MHF for bucktail drifting in the Plum Gut and Race and even Codfishing south of Block Island and at Coxes Ledge every Summer. That rod is GREAT!!!

I personally saw (And gaffed) a 36lb bass he took on the 70MHF off Block one morning in May some years back while Codfishing on the drift. I initially thought he had hung a big old pollack, but when the great fish swam to the surface way out behind the boat and I saw the dorsal fins, well, no doubt what that fish was!!!

A great day for the memories, with a happy "bonus" fish, caught on a super rod!

Best, Lep

This post edited by Leprechaun 11:52 AM 01/06/2008

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for the responses. Thanks for the tip Capt about the inshore forum. I did read up on some of the tog rod threads, especially the sticky one. I just didn't really get a sense of if this rod or any descent black fish rod would fit the bill for any other fish. I dropped what I consider a good amount of dough and would have been dissapointed if not good for any other type of fishing. As I mentioned, it's my first conventional so I'll be using this for a long time for party boat fishing mainly.
Lep, I feel much better now reading your comments with your expertice. Thanks. Hey, you have to make sure I'm on your boats first maiden voyage. Thanks all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.