NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken a close look at the new IGFA World Records for children? It is called the Junior Angler Program. There are two groups; smallfry and Junior. Smallfry is for children under 10. Junior is for ages 10 to 16.

I am very disappointed with the IGFA for allowing these world records to be abused. In case you are not familiar with the rules, all tackle world record fish must be faught entirely by the angler. At no time can another person touch the rod, reel, or any part of the line/tackle with the exception of a leader or wire for the purpose of landing a fish. Instead of explaining my complaint, I'll just show you some recent "SMALLFRY" World Records. They speak for themselves;

These are current IGFA world records for GIRLS under the age of 10!
-198lb Yellowfin Tuna
-20lb Bluefish
-51lb Chinook Salmon

These are some current records for boys UNDER the age of ten;

-40lb 3oz Striped Bass
-687lb Tiger Shark
-106lb Wahoo
-121lb 4oz Pacific Sailfish

For a look at all of the Junior Angler records, visit this website and click the "All Junior Records" button;

http://www.igfa.org/records/records.cfm

And the next time your wife is having trouble battling a 30lb bass or a 12lb bluefish, just remind her that the record books say that some seven year old girl landed a 200lb yellowfin tuna and a six year old boy landed a 40lb bass -both without anyone else touching the rod at anytime.

BOGUS!

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This stuff just kills me. Even with the rod in the rod holder and a very low ratio reel, I'd like to see a seven or eight year old girl turn the crank three or four times on even the twenty pound bluefish. Have any of you looked at the other records on the IGFA website, there are dozens of others that also break the laws of physics!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Doc, I have gone fishing with my uncle and cousin...... She is 8 years old. We have gone for blackfish, stripers, weaks...... My uncle hooked into a striper one day and gave her the rod, she got exactly 5 cranks on the reel, and she gave up.... She is almost 5 feet tall, ALREADY (lol), but a beanpole..... Now, when we finally got the striper on the beach it just didnt' seem right..... a 22#... If she couldn't pull that little boy in, I doubt that any girl under 10 could pull in a 170# yellow fin.

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Gama.

Me too. I have been an IGFA member for over a decade. When they announced the Junior Anglers program, I enrolled my son as a member (even though it's not necessary to claim a record).

When he was only five, he caught a 5.71 lb fluke. I didn't submit it even though the record was vacant at the time because a few times during the battle I had to hold the rod up to get the tip out of the water. It was indeed a huge struggle for him and it pushed the limits of what someone his size at the time could possibly accomplish.

I agree, these are probably the same parents as those who argue with the umps at the little league games. What exactly does a bogus record teach these children?

Sometimes when I read the IGFA Junior Angler's newsletter I have to wonder whether or not it could also be a publicity thing or bragging rights for some of the charter boat captains who help submit these bogus records.

I didn't post any of the questionable age 10 to age 16 "Junior" records here because I do understand that sometimes a 15 or 16 year old can be larger and stronger than many of us. But take a look at some of them (especially the sharks) and you'll also have to wonder a bit.

·
Registered
898 Posts
This story is somewhat off topic but it does concern children and records. Several years ago a gentleman decided that his grand daughter who was about 6 years old or so would obtain the record for flying an airplane across the United States. Actually what this meant was that a series of short hops in a small plane would take the both of them across the country. At some point during each flight the girl's hands would be on the controls with by herself. I don't think there was much of a requirement as to how long the young girl had to be "flying" the plane. Of course real flying involves taking off and landing, plus handling dangerous situations, none of which the young girl was involved with.

Unfortunately the story has a sad ending as the grandfather and daughter had a fatal plane crash before the record was set.

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PGB53; A witness is suggested but not 100% required. Since we are on the topic, here are some of the rules;

-Potential records must out-weigh existing records by a specified weight (fish less than 25 pounds must out-weigh record by more than 2 ounces, etc...)

-Claim forms must be submitted with 60 days for domestic catches and 90 days for overseas. "Forgotten" catches can be considerd for all-tackle records if photos, proof of weight, proof of method of fishing, etc.. can be supplied.

-Fish must be weighed on a Government Certified scale or one certified by the IGFA or other accredited agency.

-Rod, reel and tackle must be inspected by weighmaster at time of weigh-in.

-A mandatory length of the used fishing line must be submitted with the application.

-Specific measurements of the fish must be recorded with photography.

-The entire "international angling" rules apply to tackle and how the fish is faught. They can be found here;

http://www.igfa.org/rulebook/rules.pdf

You will see that Rule #1 under Angling Regulations states that from the time the fish takes the bait until the time the fish is landed, the angler must not receive help from any other person.

-

-Fishing in hatcheries or Sanctuaries is not permitted.

-Sworn witness testimony is highly desired.

-

-For All-Tackle records, there is a maximum lb test line that may be used for each species (for example, bluefish is 50lb test, fluke is 30lb test, etc...).

-Specific types of photographs must be taken of the fish as described in the rule book.

-

-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.