NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Additional Recreational Measures
Private recreational vessels fishing in the GOM
Increase the minimum fish size for cod in or from Federal waters to 24 inches
Decrease the bag (possession) limit for cod in or from Federal waters to five fish.
Federally Permited Charter/Party vessels fishing in the GOM
Increase the cod minimum fish size to 22 inches
Require vessels intending to charter/party fish in the inshore GOM rolling closure areas to declare into the charter/party fishery for the duration of the action (these vessels will be prohibited from fishing under a DAS)
All recreational (private and charter/party vessels)
Prohibit vessels from fishing in the Western Gulf of Maine Closure Area year round
Prohibit vessels from fishing for cod in federal waters during the period November through March in GOM

Private boating anglers. This is really bad.

Capt. Marc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aside from the size and bag limit change, how will these new reg's affect me. I usualy don't venture too far off shore (the B buoy off Boston Harbor)

On another note. I had been shopping for a new boat that would take me further off shore, with a cabin to keep warm and dry. The cod fishing has been so good that last year, I extended my fishing from March thru December. I own a 19' center console. I would take myself and a 1 or 2 friends and we would be able to keep 20-30 fish. After 3 or four trips we all had enough cod to fill our freezers for the winter. I guess those days are over and my plans for a new boat are on hold. ( I am not going to spend 30,000 dollars to catch 5 fish per day and I suspect many other people feel the same way.

·
Registered
135 Posts
No problem Capt. Marc. This needs to be rammed down everyones throat until they write a letter. Unfortunately time is not on our side. We have till the 22nd. for public comment. See below:

Looks like this should all come to a head by the 22nd of March. There is public comment although I don't know where this comment is to be directed.Here is an article, take note of the last line.
Fishing orders issued By Jay Lindsay, Associated Press BOSTON ? New England's struggling fishing industry faces another hard hit following Friday's release of a federal government plan for restoring depleted fish stocks. Among the proposed provisions: limits on fishing days during the prime season, additional areas closures, gear changes and tighter restrictions for recreational fisherman. A federal judge ordered the National Marine Fisheries Service to submit the plan, saying in a December ruling the agency ignored the law and failed to quickly rebuild stocks of groundfish, which includes cod and flounder. Fishermen objected, saying fish stocks are improving and more regulations would put them out of business. NMFS spokeswoman Teri Frady said Friday there's little question fishing jobs could be lost under the proposed rules. But without the rules, fish stocks won't ever fully recover, she said. "I hope what it does, is that we have more fish," Frady said. "I don't think you can fish your way to more fish." The interim proposal is open to public comment until March 22 and must be approved by U.S. District Judge Gladys Kessler. "This is far from the last word," Frady said. The interim plan does not bring the federal government into immediate compliance with current law, as demanded by conservationists who sued. Frady said there simply wasn't time to clear regulatory hurdles before the May 1 start of the fishing season. She said NMFS plans to be in complete compliance with existing law by August 2003. The plan is aimed at protecting cod, and a key provision is a 22-day limit on fishing days in the Gulf of Maine between May and October, when codfish are massing to spawn. Fishermen currently get 88 fishing days to use how they wish. Under the plan, any day fished between May and October counts as two days, and during that time the fishermen are allowed to use a maximum of 44 days, or 22 actual fishing days. Outside of the Gulf of Maine, where codfish stocks are stronger, the 2-for-1 fishing day restriction is in effect May through July, when fishermen can use a maximum of 11 actual fishing days. The plan also shuts down coastal fishing areas in the Gulf of Maine in May and June, which would most impact small boat fishermen in northern New England ports such as Gloucester and Portsmouth, N.H. Gear changes in the plan require fishermen in the Gulf of Maine to use larger meshed nets that allow younger fish to escape, and reduces the number of nets in all areas. Increased restrictions are proposed for recreational fishermen for the first time since the mid-1990s. A cod must be 24 inches long for a private fisherman to keep it, up from 21 inches, and an angler can catch a maximum of five fish per day, rather than the previous limit of 10. Frady said it was clear recreational fisherman were increasing their catch, and needed additional regulation. "The fish don't know who's catching them," she said. "If that's going up, this is an effort to restrain them."

The issue isn't whose catching the fish but who is throwing away dead fish. Its really about by- catch. I have e-mailed Priscilla Brooks of the Conservation Law Foundation.([email protected]) She seems to be in deep on this project. Also I have mailed a letter to Judge Gladys Kessler. Her address is:

Clerk's Office United States District Court for the District of Columbia 333 Constitution Avenue, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20001

We only have till the 22nd to comment so please take a few moment and let them hear you.

Thanks Capt. Spike

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Capt's Marc/Spike,
Do you know if there is a web site with a chart showing block numbers? Also what do they define as the 'western' Gulf of Maine.
All excited about my first season out of Portsmouth and now this. Maybe I should have kept the boat in the Great Lakes. My letters are already in the mailbox. Thanks.

shebeen

G

·
The area is rectangular and about 15 miles east to west and 60 miles north to south.

E to W) from 70 deg-15 minW to 69 deg. 55 min.W
(S to N) from 42 deg-15 min N to 43 deg 15 min N

The SW corner of the closed area is at
42deg-15min and 70deg - 15 min
That is on Stellwagen just east of the BE buoy.

90% of Stellwagen is not in the closed area.
The closed area affects the fishing on the east side of the bank above 42 deg 15 min.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Shebeen,
The WGOM covers just inside the curl and the entire north end of Jeffreys. It also runs to the south as noted above. You would have any area you now see nets and draggers working to fish. The south end ,some of the cove,the prong and thats about it. Of course for fa five fish limit you most likely wouldn't spend the cash to run to those spots. You'd have the inshore humps, old scantum and the mud hole. Take the boat back to the lake. This year wont be pretty out there.The block #'s can be found on the NMFS site.
Capt. Spike

·
Registered
89 Posts
on a positive note we still can catch as many cod as we want but can only keep 5 over 24 inches i assuming five haddock also some monkfish and lots of large black pollock...times that by 6 good friends on board your boat and thats one **** of a day!!!how much fish do your really eat anyway throwing back some fish is still fun...hey iam trying to stay positive

THE KIERA GRACE

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't they include cod and haddock together for your total catch. So 3 cod and 2 haddock would be daily limit. The other fish such as pollack and cusk or wolfs don't count toward the 5 fish limit. I hope I am wrong.

Tight lines to all
Phil

·
Registered
89 Posts
believe me iam not that happy about the regs either,,with a 30ft sportcraft and all new powertrain in it,iam ready to fish the ledge.i too leave out of portsmouth nh and didnt didnt get the chance to fish with it last year because i replaced everything,but she all new and ready to go this year so iam just happy too get out there,,all the writings that i read say 5 cod period i know there was a 10 fish limit last year but the differnce was last year you could catch 10 cod or 10 haddock or any combo not excedding ten now i believe the way i read it is five cod no more,,,haddock has rebounded more so than cod,,but the way i read it it doesnt mention haddock and i havent heard anything differnt..all you can eat pollock

THE KIERA GRACE

·
Registered
5 Posts
I want to get involved! I've been complaining long enough! Things keep getting worse and worse. I haven't fished for cod since the early seventies, but now that I have my own boat I would like to go but fear that by the time I get to go the regs will be so restrictive it won't be worth it! It seems now that you need to bring a lawyer fishing just to interpret all the regs that are allready in place!

How do I get started? I want to email lawmakers, join a club that uses dues to lobby lawmakers and anything else I can do to get the people responsible for changing the regulations to listen. I've allways said that to complain about something with no plans of doing something to try and change it is a waste of time and energy! I live in central PA but that doesn't stop me from fishing salt water and it shouldn't stop me from getting involved with the political process.

I mostly fish for fluke but with the increasingly restrictive laws on fluke I have began targeting multiple species just to make a trip worth it. I travel over 200 miles one way to get to the water and in the summer I go almost every other week plus spend both my vacation weeks at the Jersey shore.

This year I plan to range even farther with trips to Mass. and as far south as North Carolina. This seems like a web site that can make these things easier for me. Hope I haven't rambled too much, I could go on all day! Some help with getting involved with the political process would be great for now.

Looking forward to hearing from you all,pafishfinder.

FISHING: not just a hobby, it's a way of life!

Your Name

This message was edited by pafishfinder on 3-7-02 @ 10:40 AM

·
Registered
135 Posts
PaFishfinder,
My post has two address, one e-mail the other snail. Write a letter to each of them expressing your feelings towards more restrictions on the recreational angler. Also write your state representatives, senators,and govenor. Politics plays a big part in the long run where right now the focus is with the court and the plaintiffs that filed the suit.
On a side note it looks like this may be the last year for the joint venture herring fishery off our waters. Suposedly its going to styop this year due to a falling out of political favor. Not sure if 9/11 had something to do with it or not. I'd like to believe it was the letters written by many of us when it was first proposed.
Maybe we can make a difference!

Capt. Spike

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,

Attached is a pic of the block #s. If we are shut out of Jefferies ledge, it is going to be a zoo out there. Most of the prime inshore spots are covered with gillnets all season long.

Question? Your a gillnetter and you are restricted to 44 days at sea. You set your nets monday (1 das) and pick it up Thursday (1 das). Your actually fishing 4 days but only using 2. am I correct on this?

Capt. Marc

Capt. Marc

·
Registered
192 Posts
As with shebeen, I will be leaving out of Portsmouth, NH. If I boat , say, 15-20 miles due east of NH coast, looks like it may get a bit crowded out there, right?? Or if I am off a few degrees, could get pretty lonely!!!!!!!!!!!hhuuuuuuummmmm.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Capt. Marc,
Great question. My friends and I we're just discussing that the other day. I haven't dwelled to deep into the comm. regs to find that out.I'm sure its somewhere on the NMFS site.I wouldn't be hurt if they stopped them from using them entirely.Looks like P. Brooks e-mail must be filled up. People are telling me their mail is coming back undeliverable. Thats a sign of a full mail box. If you haven't been heard you can still snail mail them. P.Brooks is listed on the CLF site (CLF.org I think). If not do a search on Conservation Law foundation. The link should show up there. If you wish to contact your representatives and senators just search "your states name goverment" A listing for your states govement and subsequent links should appear.
We are being heard now if we can just get results to go along with it.
Capt. Spike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.