NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got official word that Judge Kessler has gone back on her initial order and lightened up the reg.s she set in place. The not so surprising part of all of this is that the regs she lightened up on are for the commercial sector only. Again the recreational sector will be expected to hold up the full load of thier new regs while the commercial sector gets relief. OK you could argue that its how they make thier living, yes. But what about the headboat operators, full time six pack Captains, and tackle dealers that have taken a hit by the new recreational regulations put in place? Where is thier relief from the unnecessary new regulations put on the recreational sector? I didn't hear that congress was scrambling to layout money for them because they were going to have tough times.I have had to cancel all but one weekend trip this year due to wind conditions. I have no way to recoop those loses other than rebooking, which we all know can be nearly impossible due to peoples schedules ect. Its just plain fact, the recreational sector has no impact on the fishery and is being punished again while the commercial regulations are lightened up.You can expect this in the future as stocks really rebound, because we really don't have anyone looking out for our interests.
In the initial set of regulations there was no change in the commercial sectors trip amount nor length limit on Haddock, yet the recreational sector took a bag limit and a length increase due to go in effect August 1st, 2002. The NMFS considers all fish released by the recreational sector as dead fish. If that is the case whay then did they increase our length limit? Wouldn't this create more by-catch from the recreational sector? I am truely amazed at the direction in which the NMFS and other agencys have taken in reguards to managing our fisheries. I think its time everyone let thier goverment officials know. Its time to write those letters again.
Capt. Spike

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
just the start

Sorry to say but this is the first of many species to be hit! Here is where the Reg's win and we lose. I think part boats have there own reg?s also if they fall into the same category? I?m not sure? But Fellow fishermen the cod population really needs a total shut down. They have been hit hard for years and now because nothing was done quick enough we all suffer. Like I said this is the first of many! Time to go fishing now tide is right

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
new cod regs

The new regs are a setelement between a bunch of commercial fishermen, states reps and environmental groups.

There was zero representation in these closed doors meetings for recreational and commercial hook and line fishermen. If you believe the state reps are looking our for rec anglers, think again.

Case in point, Rod and reel hook commercial fishermen had a trip limit of 300lbs which is reduced to 200lbs in Aug. While Draggers and Gillnetters get a 100lb increase per day from 400lbs to 500lbs starting Aug.

Makes me sick also.

Capt. Marc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.