NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went on my first offshore Sea Bass trip a few weeks ago out of NJ, and thought I was all set up, but my Loomis Problue and Avet SX set up was having a hard time handling the 20 oz of weight that I had to use as a result of the full moon. Long story short, I got a boatload of Cabela's gift certificates for Xmas and I need a new setup for cold weather northeast fishing that can handle the weight. I love light setups, so I'm asking for recommendations for a light combo, that can handle the heavier weight. I'll also mention that I plan on using braid on it. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Try for a reel the Avet MXJ and maybe the Calstar 800m. I have the 800m and I have used it offshore sea bassing with 16oz. Works well and its an awesome blackfish rod.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The best setup for that kind of fishing is the st criox musky rod 6' 9". 36-80lb line. It's feather lite and stiff, around $140. For the reel you should go with the newell S-338-5, or the avet jx 6.0:1.
I have both spooled with 50lb powerpro. The mates even say that it's the best tool for the job.

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
mrmooch, I remember back in early 80s before the coddin died off and so did the whiting and only ling was available the following winters..( ling too only lasted an extended couple seasons before they overfished them too) Those offshore trips some 20yrs ago produced nice fish, seen 40 to 60lb cod on occassion but mainly between 8 -20lb was common. Most caught 4 to a dozen on those days out of nj. Took the paramount or jamacian around 4 hours to the mudhole for those 12 hr trips think i paid like 38 or 40 bucks? . The rod was my own very first and last custom built boat rod. Specifications not certain but suffern tackle set me up , he said jumbo blue/cod/just about anything this rod will handle. I remember using the 500 penn jigmaster and wishing I had a 4/0 senator instead. Whatever you decide, imo, I'd go with a high speed ratio 6:01 with smooth cranking power to handle deep water fish. what do those trips run for these days? Also are the ling coming or going the past few years? Seems like every fishery is worsening as the communication/location technology gets faster and better.:confused::(

This post edited by travelingwaves 07:49 PM 01/14/2008

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.