NorEast Fishing Forum banner

New Cod Laws

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  3fishhd 
#1 ·
Hi,

Looks like the recs take a hit they don't deserve again. The recs didn't cause the mess in the first place.

Capt. Marc

http://www.bdssr.com/latest/f33_suit/f33_suit_update_apr.htm

Apr 26
US Judge Gladys Kessler has ruled largely in favor of the mediated settlement in the Framework 33 lawsuit. This ruling supercedes NMFS interim rules published yesterday.

Text of the ruling by the judge.
Amended Interim Rule effective May 1 - July 31:
No more than 25% DAS use from May-July
Anything between 3-15 hours counts as 15 hours of DAS time
No front-loading of the clock
WGOM and Cashes are closed year-round
Close blocks 128 and 130 year-round, 124-125 in May, and 132-133 in June.
6.5 inch mesh for trawl and trip gillnetters in the GOM.
Dayboat gillnet allowance: 50 roundfish at 6.5 inch, 100 flatfish at 7 inch, and 150 monkfish at 10 inch.
Cod minimum size to 22 inches for commercial vessels, 23 inch for recreational vessels. T
Minimum 6 inch spacing between fairlead rollers for crucifiers.
"Limit all charter and party recreational vessels in the Gulf of Maine to 10 cod/haddock." I'm not positive just what this means.
All private recreational vessels limited to 10 cod.
All prior existing regulations and restrictions continue to apply.
Second Amended Interim Rule, effective Aug 1 until Amendment 13 in complete.
DAS are frozen at the average used from May 1 1996 - Apr 30 2001, not to exceed the current allocation. No guaranteed minimum DAS allocation.
Then reduce DAS by 20% from the baseline above.
Any latent effort not used in 2001 may not be activated.
Again, minimum cod size of 22 inches.
Mandatory 5% observer coverage or higher if necessary to provide statistically reliable data. Effective May 1 2003, 10% observer coverage (for all gear sectors) unless NMFS can demonstrate that it's not necessary.
Open access permits limited to 200 lb.
No more multispecies permits issued, period.
Again, no front-loading.
Continue the WGOM closure, "unless modified by amendment."
Same mesh and crucifier restrictions as above.
On Georges, gillnetters limited to 50 groundfish nets at 6.5 inch. Monkfish nets at 10 inch.
The Georges cod trip limit remains at 2,000/20,000.
On Georges in May, close blocks 80-80 and 118-120 south of 42"20'.
GB hook limits: 3,600 hooks, minimum size of 12/0 circle
GOM trip gillnetters: Limit of 150 nets at 6.5 inch, except monkfish nets must be 10 inch.
GOM day gillnetters: limit of 50 stand-up nets at 6.5 inch, 100 tie-down nets at 7 inch, or if you're using 10 inch mesh you can have 150 nets. From March-June, only tie-down nets may be used.
Cashes remains closed.
No increase in the cod trip limit for the duration of this action
Open blocks 124 & 125 in January, February, and March
GOM hook limitss: 2,000 hooks, minimum size of 12/0 circle.
Keep 128 and 130 closed year-round, 124-125 in May, and 132-133 in June.

See less See more
#2 ·
Capt. Marc;

The way I read it is that the only difference for the recreational fisher is that the size went from 21" to 23". Am I wrong? I have not seen any simplified text offered anywhere yet, do you know of any site to go to to get a breakdown of the new rec. laws? Thanks

#3 ·
Rscheff,

The biggest difference is that Charter/Partyboats have a 10 fish per person limit. Before there was no catch limit. This may really put a damper on those long range trips to offshore cod and haddock grounds since most fairs will want more fish for the price and time on these trips. To not break up the Haddock limit from the cod limit was wrong. It should be unlimited haddock and something realistic for all rec boats for cod wrt size and creels.

In the court decision they ut a 5 fish bag limit in the middle of the winter for boats in the Gulf of maine. Like there is a million boats fishing in Feb to really make a difference?

Capt. Marc

#4 ·
Web Site for rscheff.

You wont get a simplified version here, but it is the complete-87 page text of the new regs.It's a rough read, but I had the time, so I read it all yesterday at: www.nero.nmfs.gov/ro/doc/nr.htm
It's under April #6.
To simplify it for you, the pages that pertain to Recs.are 12-13-14.18-19.and 83-84.
Capt.Marc is right,It will unduly hurt the charter/head boats.At least they have let us go into all the areas that are closed to the coms,and yes,the only change for us Recs is a 23"limit on cod.Haddock are still 21" and Pollock are still 19".
I can live with this,but we should'nt have to.As I read in another board,and am in agreement with,hook and liners can never hurt an ocean fishery,and we should not be penalized for NMFS criminal mishandling,and the coms.GREED.

#9 ·
cod laws

The charter boats are the ones that really took a hit. Who is going to pay $160-180 + which is what the boats out of Green Harbor and other areas charge to catch 10 fish. The 23" size limit is not a problem. It will give these fish a chance to spawn at least once. The 10 fish bag limit is a killer if you fish a charter boat. 15 or 20 is more reasonable. Party boats arn't even going to be affected. You rarely catch 10 fish on a party boat. They can pool the 50 anglers at 10 fish 500 fish for the boat. I don't see that happening except on the Cashes or Georges trips.
The biggest problem is going to be the culling of fish. If you have your 10 fish by 9 am and continue fishing and catch a fish that is 24" long. Where is that 23" fish going?? Over the side!!!
That fish is not doing anyone any good.
Increase the size to 24" with a bag limit of 20 fish. This way those fish under 24 will be released alive, and you will have a little tougher time getting to your 20 fish bag limit.
Just my 2 cents...

#10 ·
GROUND FISH

Well I made up my mind that NEW ENGLAND CHARTERS will no longer offer all day Cod fishing trips.

All Cod Haddock trips will be half day trips and I will run two trips a day.

Offshore trips will all day trips and fish for Shark, TUNA,COD,HADDOCK,Pollack,Redfish, Tautag, and anything that may bite.

Of couse the inshore Striper, MAckeral will continue as 1/2 day or full day at customers request.

Capt Walt

NEWENGLANDCHARTERS@hotmail.com
Camp Ellis Pier, Saco, Maine
(207) 831-6311

Hopefully I will have the 44ft "Lucy Larcom" in the water next week??!!

#12 ·
There gone

Theres no better way to deplete fish stocks than to put a price tag on their heads.Nets and long lines(pin hooks not included) dont discriminate.Its equal opportunity for all.Of course they release what they dont want or cant keep,DEAD!Kill everything and sort out what you want?Unbelievable!The inshore Gill nets have a lower motality rate,but come on,there stretching nets across the major costal migration routes.They are WIPING OUT THE WEAKFISH along with the bunker and every thing that feed on them.And thats a sin..For comm's to point at rec's and say what about them,its just a distraction for them to keep raping OUR waters.There must be cash hand offs.How else do you explain the lack of common sense?Save a fish,eat farm raised salmon or catfish,or just take a kid fishing and catch your own.And show the kid the value and good feeling of catch and release.nuf said...Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.