NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOMEBODY TOLD ME THEY CHANGED THE BLACKFISH REGS

4 FISH PER MAN WITH A CLOSED SEASON FROM THE MODDLE OF DEC. TO THE MIDDLE OF JAN.

IS THAT TRUE ? HAS ANYBODY ELSE HEARD ANYTHING?

·
Registered
971 Posts
makomike wrote:
SOMEBODY TOLD ME

that reminds me of fox news,cnn,msnbc and all the other jack arses when they go "some people say....blah,blah,blah"

WELL WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE? if your using them as an official source of information, please do tell us where your getting this info from!
kinda add's a little credibility to your claim, otherwise it's like :rolleyes:

This post edited by rpbluett 08:02 PM 02/05/2008

·
Registered
124 Posts
bellyup1 wrote:
SOMEBODY TOLD ME THEY CHANGED THE BLACKFISH REGS

4 FISH PER MAN WITH A CLOSED SEASON FROM THE MODDLE OF DEC. TO THE MIDDLE OF JAN.

IS THAT TRUE ? HAS ANYBODY ELSE HEARD ANYTHING?

Heard the same thing and a press release is coming shortly

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
rpbluett wrote:
i cant read that without a magnifying glass, can someone help?

Changing the bag limit from 10 fish to 4 fish

season was 10/1-5/31 Now 10/1-12/20 & 1/17-4/31

same 14" min length

Honestly, I can't complain, I have seen to many party boats come in with 300-400 fish /day. I think four is fair.

They didn't mess with the size limit, so on a hard day you can still feel confident that you will have some rewards (unlike fluke)and on the good days you hold out for the slobs. I bet alot of boats are gonna turn into 1/2 day trips though. on a good day a boat can probably limit out on the first drop within a couple of hours.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
who's catching the blackfish ?

There was no size limit and no bag limit in the old days ( like in the 70's and 80's) and the population was healthy.
And then they impose a 10 fish limit with a 14 inch limit and they have closed seasons but the fish are in decline ?
Who's taking the fish ?

They have to make blackfish a gamefish. They need protection ! I hate seeing blackfish in a Chinese restaurant fish tank !!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Vector wrote:
There was no size limit and no bag limit in the old days ( like in the 70's and 80's) and the population was healthy.

Exactly why we are in the state of affairs we are in....I love when some of the old timers, and not so old timers talk about how many and how big the fish they caught were back in the 60's,70's, or 80's, etc....Wonder why they never talk about how many and how big the fish they are catching now are....

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hey guys, suck it up and get with the program!

Many of us have fished CT waters for years and it was a 4 fish limit in season. Know what? Rarely did the customers complain. Some days it was hard to get 4 tog a person.

Go ahead jump all over me with your responses, cost of fuel, someone else doing all the damage, etc. Save it! Your wasting your time. If you don't like it, join it or stay home and save your hard earned money for a rainy day. 4 tog is more than enough for a good dinner.

All these years rec anglers didn't want to know about anything. For years I tried to get you to sign petitions or support our efforts to have a say in fisheries management. Most of you did not want to acknowledge me and others. Don't dare to cry about what is going on today! You deserve what you get.

My apologies to the conservative minded anglers who have always helped. I do not include you in the above group.

Neil

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It is funny how it seems like so many people just can't do the math, if the number of fish you catch in a season is higher than the number of fish that has spawned in a season then the number of fish is going to decline, It's that simple.

As for the number of fish being caught now vs the 70's. I would imagine that the quality and availability of electronics now a days has contributed to that. Now the skilled captains are very efficient at finding the wreck fish and the unskilled stand a fighting chance. I imagine it was much more difficult back then, not as many people doing it and not as rewarding. but thats just a theory, I wasn't there, I was just a wee littlen then.;)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
You tell em Neil !!!

;)

I think these regs were due, I have even heard captain and crew on party boats say that 10 is to many. But you can't tell your clients to through back fish or stop fishing and expect to stay in buisness. Now they can say, "Sorry its the Law"

As a long Islander I welcome this one!

This post edited by 6to8ftSeas 10:53 PM 02/09/2008

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
come on guys 4 togs is a lot of fish, most likely some private boaters like mysel who only gets to fish on the weekends sat and sundays thats 8 fish for that weekend.

i just felt bad for the guys who fish for fluke, rumor has it the season might never be open this season, wow. SO SUCK IT UP GUYS WHO NEDS MORE THAT FOUR FISH? . even when it was ten fish some guys barely catch 3 fish lol.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I`m glad they lowered the limit to 4 fish. I think they should also raise the size limit to 16 but thats just me. I remember seeing coolers full of fish when I was younger and wonder what they were going to do with all those fish. We used to keep to many fish ourselves and I cringe at the fact many of those went to waste. Today there are more fisherpeople (men and women) better electronics, lines, hooks so the regs have to save some fish for our kids. Whenever I fish now I dont keep more then I`m going to cook and eat. I never freeze my fish so even if the only give 2 fluke this will be enough for me. I hope we have a Fluke season this summer I guess time will tell. Long story short there have been to many people keeping to many fish for to long. Now we just have to get them to open a dogfish season to save the other fish.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have no problem with the 4 fish limit. I think it's good. I bet if you average out how many Tog you keep in all of your trips in one season, 4 is probably pretty close.

Now Fluke on the other hand......

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.