NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Need some suggestions on a 6-7ft rod

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  DoctorFish 
Hi Joe.

Can you give us more info to work with.

Is this to be a stand up, trolling, jigging or some other type?
What type of fish does your Father target? How does he transport his rods? Would 2 piece rods be better?

Are you looking for store bought or custom?

Gama gave Calstar blanks as possibilities> He is right on the money. Their blanks are well built and do the job. They are more well known on the west coast where they are manufactured. The long range tuna boats give them a workout.

Calstar has many blanks in the 30-80 lb test range.

Lamiglas has several manufactured rods in that range as well as blanks. I'm sure Seeker must also have rods and blanks in that range.

You can also try Murray Bros in Florida for rods.

Capt Neil
father

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

Hi Joe.

For a standup rod to be used on tuna I would go with a rod about 5 1/2' long. Never fished for marlin etc so I have no idea how long the rod should be. I will say this. the longer a stand up rod is the less pressure that can be put on a fish. Listening to other fisherman, they say the longer the rod the more pressure you put on your back.

Cape Fear blanks= GREAT!

Check out your local tackle shops for a custom (built to fit the owner and his specs)rod or a factory rod.

OR, try
Flynn's Long Island Rod Crafting (516)785-2328, in Wantagh.
Sea Isle in Freeport

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.