Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Need some suggestions on a rod that has the following specs:

6-7.5ft
Able to handle 40-80lb line
Lure weighs of 1-12oz.

And I also need a reel suggestion for it, preferably conventional.

Money doesn't matter on this since it is a present for my father.

He makes lots of trips to FL to fish with my grandfather for all sorts of big game fish and while he's up here they're fishing for Blue Fin Tuna.

He's currently using an old Seeker and old Penn reel, about 4 years old I believe, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Tight lines,
Joe

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
My personal favorites are the Calstar 900XL and 900L. They comprise most of my custom rod arsenal and can be cut down to fish anything between 20 and 80 pound test, depending on the application. They are a graphite/glass composite, extremely strong and very light. They have a fast taper with plenty of backbone and are very popular in Florida. They ain't cheap, so if you decide to buy one, make sure you cut it right the first time.

Personally, I think that you are going to need to make some kind of compromise (regardless of the rod you choose) as 1 - 12 ounces is a very wide range for one rod to handle.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi Joe.

Can you give us more info to work with.

Is this to be a stand up, trolling, jigging or some other type?
What type of fish does your Father target? How does he transport his rods? Would 2 piece rods be better?

Are you looking for store bought or custom?

Gama gave Calstar blanks as possibilities> He is right on the money. Their blanks are well built and do the job. They are more well known on the west coast where they are manufactured. The long range tuna boats give them a workout.

Calstar has many blanks in the 30-80 lb test range.

Lamiglas has several manufactured rods in that range as well as blanks. I'm sure Seeker must also have rods and blanks in that range.

You can also try Murray Bros in Florida for rods.

Capt Neil
father

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be a Stand up rod, already has trolling and jigging rods.

I know that he has been targetting lately Marlin, Sail Fish, lots of Tuna, and sometimes shark.

He hits basically every kind of fish, but he usually uses a lighter rod for everyday fishing. His current rod is one piece and he made an 8 foot custom wood case for it when he travels.

And custom or store bought are both good, I would make one, but since I have never made a rod before I wouldn't chance giving him a dud....

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm already in the looking process... Have 1 month to buy, so I have some time...

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi Joe.

For a standup rod to be used on tuna I would go with a rod about 5 1/2' long. Never fished for marlin etc so I have no idea how long the rod should be. I will say this. the longer a stand up rod is the less pressure that can be put on a fish. Listening to other fisherman, they say the longer the rod the more pressure you put on your back.

Cape Fear blanks= GREAT!

Check out your local tackle shops for a custom (built to fit the owner and his specs)rod or a factory rod.

OR, try
Flynn's Long Island Rod Crafting (516)785-2328, in Wantagh.
Sea Isle in Freeport

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions, it has really helped narrow down my decision.

My Dad's trolling rod is a Cape Fear Blue Water, it is a production rod, but I got to say, it is a nice rod. Cost $650, is only 5'1", but is 80-130#.

I am going to go the custom route, I called around and 5 out of the 6 builders I called said that I should go with a Cape Fear blank, and a total rod length of 5'6" to 6'. It would be made for 50-80#. The average cost I got was $525. My Grandfather in Florida got a price of $450, so I'll probably go through my grandfathers outfitter down there.

Last selection is the reel.
I was thinking about the Penn International V- 70VS. Money doesn't matter cause me, my Mom, and my brother are all getting this for him, so I want to get him the best.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, they really helped a lot!

Tight Lines,
Joe

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
If you want a true stand-up outfit, don't go any larger than a 50 on the reel and 5 1/2 foot on the rod. I like the Penn 50SW. It's an awesome reel that can be used for many applications because it is two-speed.

Back to the length of the rod, how tall is you father? I am 5'8" and I have found that I get more leverage and have more stamina with a 4 foot 11 inch rod. When I am a guest on other people's boats who use 6 foot standup rods I feel like I have no control over the fish and I go home hurting. Trust me, the length makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Doc...

After reading your article, I checked out my dad's current pole(he keeps it hidden cause he knows I like the thing and want to take it out)... It's only 5'3".....

Makes the decisions easier.

Tight lines,
Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.