NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys one rod down now i need another, i am looking to build a tog rod from the calstar series 800L will mostly use it on party boat sometime on my boat . i want it no les than 7 6 0r 8 foot do i cut from the tip or the but i am planning on using these guides # 20 16 12 10 10 10 10 8 plus tip. i will use cork tape for the but bhnlg for guiges.

am i on the right track guys??

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
dont cut it all from the tip at first it will kill the action of the blank .that blank will stand up fine to cutting the 6 in off the butt if the tip is just right . if its a lil light cut some off the tip and adjust the butt to get the final length.i like to leave them a lil softer than i think because the guides will stiffen them up a lil bit and guides i would go 20 16 12 10 10 and the rest 8s good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
ONly problem with 8's is they don't pass big knots easily. UNi-UNi braid-MOno knot with 50# Mono & 65# braid is much better if you use 10's instead of 8's. Besides that, everyhitng Bonis said I agree with.

Personally, I would not use BHNLG's or cork tape, but that's up to the person wrappign the rod.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Billy,
On the guide selection, what would you prefer the Fuji BULG'S , I was looking at Forecast SU's guides BSULG'S.
Also would the Forecast UD'S work on this blank with a line rating of 15-30 lb.or do you think they might be a little light.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys billy i was thinking the same thing about the 10 guides than the 8 because of the same reasom, i also kinda like the cork tape thing , been as how ia am a rookie and this would be my second rod. are there any foam grip to use that will make it have a longer rear grip/??

i realy like the longer rear grip i just hate a rod with short butt. i will be getting the stuff from mudhole so i will find out about the eva rear grip lenth wize.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
In HArdaloy, you really don't need any more than the BNLGH. I have TNSG's on tha tPurple & REd rod, which is squivalent to the BNLG's.

If you wanted to spend a few more bucks, the BMNAG's are a great guide, probably the best value for the 800L. IMO.

Grips - you can make them however long you need regardless of teh material, it's a matter of what you like. I hate cork tape, I find it doesn't balance well. TO each his own though, if you like it keep using it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys great info bmnag the guides will be, rod winder i kinda like that double but setup i will look in to it.

billy you are right about cork tape and how it balance the rod ect. . because that honey lami that i had made i think the but could be a little more fat as you se iam a big guy with godzilla hands lol. i was thinking on putting heat shink grip over it. any thought or i might rap one more layer of corktape over it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Yeah, sometimes a single layer of corktape is too thin and will cause hand cramps/discomfort. I have a rod that I had to put on a second layer, then I put Quickgrip over top with a heat gun. You can get fancy like Sam and put designs on the grip with heavy mono, twine, or cut pieces of corktape, then put on the shrink tubing.

The BMNAG's are what I used on my 800L. I cut it back to around an 8 or 8.5 and I only use it toggin when I need heavy lead. I think it makes a better offshore sea bass rod than a tog rod when cut back. Its nice to jig with all day or fish bait.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.