NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 25.5 grady sailfish with twin 200 EFI merqs on the back and fish out of jones inlet.I have sharked plenty of times but looking to to broaden my horizens.I'm planning an overnighter to the bacardi,texas towers or maybe even the canyon.Could someone give me a few tips such as,do you always anchor..how much line do i need.Using butterfish how much would i need for an overnight trip.. Do you ever chunk during the day.what size hooks do use,do you hide the hook inside the bait and sew it up?how big are the chunks you use for chum and how often do you trow them in.Do you leave the rod in free spool mode or with the drag on? Any other helpful hints would be greatly appreciated..looking foward to hearing those 50's scream . Thanks to all.......charlie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sharphook, I always ancor on overnite trips. You will need a lot of ancor line. Or tie off on a pot. But be careful that's not legal. If your fishing 4-6 rods two flats of butter fish should be enough. Number six round hooks hidden down into the gill of a whole butter fish. You can also hide the hook in a chunk as well. As far as chuming, cut the small butter fish in half and the largers ones in three or four piecies. Throw the chunks 3 at a time every three to five minutes.
I like to chunk a little heavy when the fish start hitting. Keep the drag on and let the fish hook themselves. Like shark fishing try difrent depths. And always free line at lest one set up. Keep your bait as fresh as you can and remember to hide the hook. Good Luck

CaptSteve

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Sharphook,
There are some nights when you'll be better off drifting. These are nights when there is a lot of current. like we had two weeks ago, or when ther is no current and no wind. IN one case you won't be able to keep the lines in any particular direction unless you drift. In the other the chunks will fly away in the current so fast that they really aren't of much use. If you do decide to drift note the direction of the drift and make sure you get out in the deep far enough so that the pots won't become a problem in the middle of the night.

===MakoMike===

·
Registered
25 Posts
SHARPHOOK,
I PREFER TO ANCHOR MYSELF BUT AS PER THE OTHER REPLY DRIFTING DOES HAVE ITS ADVANTAGES.THE ONLY DISADVANTAGE WITH TYING TO A POT IS YOU ARE SETTLING ON A SPOT AND THE CONSTANT WORRY THAT A 100 FT LOBSTER BOAT IS GOING TO BACK DOWN ON YOU. IF ANCHORING YOU WOULD NEED 1800 FT MIN AND 20 TO 30 FEET OF CHAIN. YOU DONT WANT TO TRY REANCHORING WHEN A SQUALL COMES UP OR BREAK ANCHOR WHEN YOU GET A STIFF WIND. I PREFER TO BRING 6 TO 8 FLATS OF BUTTERS AND 1 TO 2 BUCKETS OF CHUM. THE CHUM AND LIGHTS KEEP THE BAIT CLOSE TO THE BOAT.THIS TIME OF THE YEAR STARTS DAY CHUNKING ALSO NOW ESPECIALLY SINCE THE BLUEFIN HAVE SETTLED IN THE MIDDLE GROUNDS SUCH AS THE TEXAS TOWER, VIRGINIA AND THE DUMP.THE PARTYBOATS HAVEBEEN DOING BETTER IN THOSE AREAS THAN THE CANYON RIGHT NOW. IT SEEMS THE YELLOWS HIT a slump.IF YOU OWN A LIGHT GENERATOR THIS WOULD BE AN IDEAL TIME TO USE IT. CHUNKS SHOULD BE 1 TO 2 INCH SLICES. I TRY TO CUT THEM FROZEN AT THE DOCK AND LET THEM THAW OUT ON THE RIDE OUT. MY HOOK OF CHOICE IS THE GAMAGATSU 7 0 OR 8 0 LIVE BAIT HOOK WITH 80 LB FLOUROCARBON LEADER. THE LEADER IS 4 TO 6 FT IN LENGTH. I ALSO STAGGER DEPTHS WITH EGG SINKERS AND RUBBER CORE SINKERS. SOMETIMES BALLOONS MUST BE USED. LINES ARE LEFT ABOUT 75 % TO STRIKE ON THE REELS. BUTTERFISH ARE RIGGRD THROUGH THE MOUTH OUT THE GILLS AND INSERTED IN THE BODY HIDING THE HOOK. SOMETIMES IT IS NEEDED TO SEW THE MOUTH CLOSE WITH RIGGING FLOSS.HOPE THIS HELPS IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME. Your Name

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.