NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never done this type of fishing before maybe you guys can help me out.
What type of hooks do you us, do you use any weight,how to rig,mono or braided,eel alive or dead, where do you hook the. Like I said never did it before.

·
Registered
958 Posts
it depends how u fish...ive had much success drifting eels alive with my rod line tied to a three way, three foot leader down to sinker, then three foot leader to circle hook or baitholder (bait the eel thru the eyes, or in the mouth and out the gill) black hooks work better-stripers can see well..im not sure if eels work in the spring or they are around in the fall only? hope this helps

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Assuming you're casting eels, I use a 5/0 to 8/0 hook such as a Gamakatsu Octopus, Cirlce or Live Bait hook. I tend to err on the side of using a slightly smaller hook so as not to over power the eel (unless it's a really big bass eel) and therefore present it more naturally.

Most eel casters use a leader of 50#-80# fluoro connected to a black barrel swivel. Usually no weight, perhaps a small egg sinker at most.

Cast it out and retrieve very s-l-o-w-l-y.

Just don't use eels in the spring. Everyone knows eels don't work then. ;)

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
117 Posts
ballbreaker,

If you want to learn how to fish eels, either live or dead(aka rigged) I recommend you pick up "Secrets of Night Fishing" by William ("Doc") Muller. The book covers eel fishing in depth and even dedicates an entire chapter to rigging eels. Good luck!

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Mr. Ball - as Jaiem says - depends on where you are planning on slingin' them.

I toss into the Nissequoge River & fish/rig them this way.

6.0 bait or circle hook on an 18" leader clipped into a snap swivel. No weight used. Put hook through lower jaw & out an eyesocket.
Also use the same set-up but occasionally float the eel by adding a 2" bobber or float to the line just above the snap swivel.

Toss the eel out as far as you can get it & allow tide/currents to take it leaving the bail up. At night (best time to use eels) allow the line to run over your free hand so you can feel the line "paying out". Keep the same hand near the bail so you can close it should you get a hit.

When you feel the drift has gone as far as you want it. Close the bail & sssssssslowly start bringing the eel back in. Couple of cranks - lift the rod tip - couple of more cranks - lift the rod tip, etc - till you have it back on the beach.

The eel can be hit both on the drift & on the retrieve.

If on the drift:
Drop the bail with the first indication that you've got a customer - don't try to set the hook with the first tag. Once the bail is down - give a slight tug to make sure the bass is still there - if you now get resistance - set the hook.

If on the retrieve - samething - wait a few seconds before setting the hook.

As far as line goes - you can use either braid or mono. Both work. I use both Fireline or mono @ 14# test. 20# on the leader.

Why the bobber? Allows the eel to float off of the bottom forcing him to swim. Less tangles. Also go to this method when you don't have a strong current. Bobbber helps to move the eel around.

These are my methods - others have their own. Gotta find what works for you.

Again - this is in the river. Should work well in back bays & inlets as well. Ocean tactics will probably vary.

As Jaiem says - late season is best for using snakes. Mid to late August through October. They'll work earlier in the season but you may lose quite a few to blues.

"Always fish 'em Live"

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Rigging eels properly is a skill all unto itself (not an easy thing to do).

Rich Johnson at The Fishingline has a good video showing step-by-step how to rig an eel. Very helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.