NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to saltwater fishing and am totally hooked on Cod fishing. I am looking to purchase my own set up, and would like some pointers. I am leaning towards Penn stuff like the 330GTI reel but don't really which rod to buy. help!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
There are lots of production rods to choose from as well as going the custom rod route. First we need some more info on the type of codfishing you will be doing.

If you are headboat fishing with bait, a rod approximately 7-7.5 feet long rated from 30-50 lbs with medium action will do fine. For deep jigging on the offshore banks like Georges you will need a rod with a firmer tip to handle the heavier jigs and sinkers required. Uglystick, Seeker, Loomis and Lamiglas make several models that run from $75 and up.

If you decide to go the custom rod route you are talking about serious dollars.

Al

G

·
Hello Hayrod I learned a long time ago the only thing thats consistent is change. The preceeding threads recommend 7-71/2 and 8 foot rods . The standard cod rod rented on the Helen H is a loomis 8450.This is a 7ft 50 lb rated blank the reel is a proline 454. The standard boat rod on the Bunny Clark (maine)is a cut down surf blank that started out at 10feet and finished @7'3"with the reel of choice likewise being a proline. The above choices were made by knowledgable capts and crew who are on the water all the time. Most premium brand rods and reels will do the job , except over time your preferences will change and thats how tackle stores and custom builders make $$. Try calling localtackle stores in the are in the area of the home port , call the capt of the boat you frequent and ask them what they recommend Good luck and good fishing IZZY

·
Registered
17 Posts
Reef Man,

Obviously your selling the rod for a reason but I was thinking about buying the Ugly Stik Custom USCB1180XH ( 8' XH 40-50 ). How do you like the rod, is it a fast action rod with a sensitive tip and alot of backbone ,or is it just one thick stiff blank down to the butt? If you can, compare the Ugly Stik Custom USCB1180XH ( 8' XH 40-50 ) with the Ugly Stik BWB1120 ( 8' H 40-80 ).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.