NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do all of my fishing from the Sheepshead Bay party boats. Regarding Black fishing I feel that my rod is fine however I" looking for a good reel. I need a left handed crank. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Capt. Neil and anyone else,

Is the 320 really necessary. I use that on my bait rods for large stripers. I realize horseing the fish away from the wreck is imperative, but I was not aware that such a large reel would be necessary. I have not Blackfish fished since I was a kid and I don't remember what reel and rod I used to use, but I was hoping to try some this year with my 965. Thanks in advance.

Chris

·
Registered
166 Posts
Penn 320 GTI vs Inter 965? I have both. I think it depends on if you want to use braid or mono. I have 30# braid on the 965 and 30# mono on the 320.
I`m sure you are going to want to use more then 15# test and the 965 will need braid if you go higher then that. I love both reels.

Good fishing Wackey

·
Registered
37 Posts
digitalguy,a penn gti 310 will do just fine if you're trying save a few $$ and still get a quality reel..i've seen guys use $200-$300 reels
on blackfishing trips but you really don't need that.that my 2cents..
good luck

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Thanks wacky,

I do have 30# braid on the 965 and 40# on the 320GTI. I just want to be sure I am ready for a big tog when it comes. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I mainly use my 7' Loomis with a Penn 965 loaded with 30lb Fireline. It works exceptionally well. You do need a "strong" reel to be able to horse the tog out of wrecks at times. My buddy just picked up a Penn 535 I believe. That reel also has a great drag and a quick retrieve. For real deep wrecks I use an old Mitchell Garcia 600a loaded with 35lb mono.
320gti are also a very popular reel on the party boats I go on out of Jersey.
You don't have to spend alot of money, but get something that will last more than one season.

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

·
Registered
26 Posts
GO GOATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

THe left handed Penn 320 is a Penn 321 GTI - I believe they are about $85. There ain't much else when it comes to left handed reels. On SOL there was a thread where people listed all teh left handed reels available - go there and search the archives for "left handed" in the topic.

There is a Calcutta 401 available for Lefties, but you cannot buy it here.

Go GOATS!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.