NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Hmmmm BM - er... Bluefishmaster, the first thing you need to do to catch a cow, yeah the ones over 20 pounds, is change your name. Something like Bassmaster will work.

Why not use bunker spoons on the beach? Just cast out as far as you can, turn your back to the ocean, and run as fast as you can parallel to the shoreline. This will mimic the action imparted when trolling with a boat. It will also keep you in tip-top shape. This technique also works well when fishing for Bluefin Tuna from a Kayak 100 yards off shore.

BM - if you are asking a serious question here, I apoligize.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You probally fishing the wrong time or at the wrong place. Also, usally the big cows are caught with eels, and bucktails. Try inlets 4:eek:o a.m. on a slack tide.

This message was edited by surfjerk1 on 12-22-01 @ 11:22 AM

·
Registered
270 Posts
Go Hang out at some local tackle shops...
Try to target a good one and just listen to what going on there...
If Your into dead sticking (chuckin clams and stuff) You want a high low rig on a fish finder..
Or use sea worms with a inverted lure with the hooks removed and a single hook on the end,
I use small bombers for that rig...
Dont know Your waters But You want to target the top 3 of the incoming and work the Tide till it Pukes halfway down.......
Try Plugging and learn to read the water, Get a map book and start Hunting.........
Billy go Lay down... Oh Yeah Your In back O the cruza;)

Plugs not drugs..

·
Registered
353 Posts
Chicken fat, the whole secret is chicken fat.
If you can't get chicken fat, bunker heads will do.

BM, can you elaborate on that "inverted lure" rig?
I know what a Bomber is, and I know what a worm is,
but I never considered combining them.

Flounder

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Bluefishmaster,

There you have it!!!!
Often the cows are taken on eels, bucktails { jettys are a great place might I add}.
EEls are effective { mostly in late summer,fall and after dusk - dawn}
Bunker spoons and wire bring up many big bass.
{ need a boat for that one}
Many times Ive noticed big fish being taken from the beach with bunker/bunkerchunks.
Also I got some nice fish by live lining bunker and fishing the bunker school.
another thing is, jigging krockadile lures under a bluefish blitz on bunker will bring up a big bass that hangs out underneath the choppers .

Big bass are also taken on skimmers and bellies.
I like to toss a bunch of bellies around the back of the boat, outgoing tide and either a couple juicy skimmer clams on the hooks or bellies do the trick too.
BUT the real thing is "patience" keep on plugging away.....
ohh and plugs work well also!!!
Alan

·
Registered
270 Posts
Flounder, Its killer on Bass....
I commercial fished using this set up as well as pluggin and eeling next to the rods at night....
c,mon I cant do all the work for Ya;)

Plugs not drugs..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't consider a bass over 20# a cow, but this is what I would do.

March-April-May - Fish the spawners in the hudson river around the Tappen Zee, Bear Mountain area. As they move out, fish the piers and shore spots in NY Harbor.

June/July - Night eel trips on the Montauk partyboats. Avoid the full and new moon crowds.
August/September/October - South Shore sand beaches with bunker chunks, livelining inlets
September/October/November Montauk again
November/December - Hudson River again

In general, avoid schoolie tactics like jigging, avoid top water lures, avoid blitzes, avoid bluefish, fish big baits like eels and bunker heads, fish inlets, rips and bridges, and fish at night. Montauk eeling is probably the most efficient tactic.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bluefishmaster,

I can't speak for Crazy Alberto, but one of the most devastating techniques I have seen him employ is to simply live-line baitfish to hungry bass.

The rig is simple...tie your main line to a barrel swivel. Tie off the swivel a 4-6 foot section of fairly stout flourocarbon leader (50 lb. or more, I prefer a clinch knot @ this connection or a uni), and attach the hook with a palomar knot.

If you want to weigh down the rig, place an egg sinker above the swivel (where it meets your main line).

The size and type of the hook will depend on the bait. Live eels...use a Gamakatsu 6/0 Octopus hook.

Bunker, herring, and shad, use a larger circle hook. Porgies too. Yes, winter flounder, short sea bass and baby togs are used for good effect, but I think the authorities would frown upon that kind of thing, even though I see it done all the time.

Rotsa ruck.

This message was edited by bassturd666 on 12-31-01 @ 11:55 AM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.