NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to catch some warm water this summer (july/Aug/Sept) in the area of Cholera Bank, 17 Fathoms & BA Bouy. Last year I hooked up with a number of Skipjack Tuna in 17 fathoms area. I also have had success with False Albies. I have heard reports of Mahi at and near the Buoy and pots but have never scored. Have also heard stories of Bluefin Tuna in this area.

My success has been on Mexican Flag colored Tuna Clones coupled with home made squid teasers. Also clark spoons off of planers. Trolling speed of about 6.5 knts.

I am hoping to score on the Mahi/Bluefin this year. I would like to start a discussion to cover this area and possibly down to the Mud Hole Wreck.

I have been told to creep up on the BA when the water is warm and cast a bucktail with squid strips for Mahi.

Have you had luck in this area ?
How do you rig up?

Regards

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Im far from a pro with Offshore but I dont think theres too many times the action for tuna is as close as Cholera but could be wrong. Ive gotten the albies too trolling in front of the beaches { once saw them 100yds. south of Loop Bridge breaking water!}
Id love to try nabbing some tuna also close to shore ... Once saw a 19'larson gassing up in the fall @ Teds with a 200 lb. Bluefin tuna they just caught few out of JI..
HEY PauliEEEEEEEEE ya out there? anyone what ya think? { Ive had feathers in my tackle box unused still in the wrapper for years, love to get em wet.}
Alan

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Hey Allen,
keep those feathers handy,it does happen once in a while but its not a regular thing at Jones'.Two years ago was hot and heavy from 6 miles out to just past the Cholera.Lots of peanut dolphin and small schoolie bluefin were mixed in with the albies,bonita and skippies.We do get the albies and bonita during the late summer months mixed with bluefish.Most guys catch them while chumming and using spearing on the hook.To get some of that good trolling action in close we need warm water temps and some clear blue water.Last year I had to go 30 miles plus for some blue water.

"Fishing with an Attitude"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My boat is out of the Sandy Hook Area (NJ). I have a 26ft cruiser (modified V hull) so I pick my days. I understand that its fairly common for the Dolphin (Mahi) and Bluefin to make it to the Mud Hole Wreck and sometimes the BA bouy. I think its the smaller sized fish but fun to catch non-the-less.

I have an 80 gallon tank and burn about 1.25-1.5 gal per mile at a 22knts cruise (12-14 gph) (conditions and load depending ie... a good day). That puts my comfortable range at about 30 miles given these good conditions. So this year I hope to work the BA to the Monster Ledge.

I have heard and read reports of both School Mahi and Bluefin in the pots south east of 17 Fathoms.

Last year I had a good weekend and hooked up with lots of skipjack in that area (lots of bluefish as well). I was sure that mahi was coming up into the spread (occational green yellow flashes behind the lures) but not hitting. I was trolling tuna clones and tried to get some small feathers out but still no luck.

I am hoping that this mild winter is a precursor to some warm water (blue) making a nice push into our area this summer and that it sticks around for a while.

Regards

·
Registered
71 Posts
yea , B.attitude is right. I fished cholera two years ago and caught several bluefin at first light and then again at dusk, while the mahis bit all day. the bluefin took small yellow and green feathers consistantly, while the mahis hit pink and black feathers. they were there this year only briefly, but it is unusual to get them there on a regular basis., again two years ago was so good we pulled a 21 pound mahi, and witnessed a guy catch a 50lb wahoo, which is like hitting the lotto, in that close, and very rare! Good luck this year

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I think it was mentioned but this winter with its milder temps. maybe could make for a season where these southern species come around more. Its always interesting to see a Wahoo or Barracuda caught in our waters especially in close, Noreast has had nice picts. from time to time on the website & in print when this happens. Must be exciting to land a huge wahoo out of JI.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Perseverence and luck will get you fish without going too far. Yes, two years ago I caught skippies, mahi, and bluefin in blue water only 2 miles from the JI buoy. The BA and mudhole usually turn on in late August, I've caught multiple bluefin, mahi's skippies, bonito, false albacore, and some sought of jacks (horseye?) right around the BA bouy. Years ago we had yellowfin at the HA, those days seem to be gone. the last few years, Cholera has had mahi under the pots. It goes hot and cold from day to day. Keep you ears tuned, look for clean/warm water, drag smaller lures (clones, squid spoons, small feathers) and go get them. Blackfishing at the Sandy Hook reef two years ago a scholl of medium BFT came right by the boat (december). Some are caught every year by unsuspecting bass trollers. Good Luck. I 'm prety sure I hooked one many years ago on a bunker spoon off of the rockaways, after a blistering run he got off, me too...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.