NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
74,095 Posts
Nice haul of fish. I wonder how he got the gill net out? Commercial fishing is never pretty, but what that guy did off the beach, even if he did it every day for the three day season is nothing compared to recreational anglers in total, due to the fish everyday during the season. Remember recreational anglers catch about 80% of all the striped bass caught.



This post edited by MakoMike 06:01 PM 01/10/2008
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes MM I agree with the #s you posted on rec catches on stripers, but what ticks me off is just seeing so many fish being taken all at once. Im sure there are a lot of females in that net. I say this because I only take 2 fish per season for the table and never a female. This Comm has to feed his family, understood and dont have a problem with it at all.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
74,095 Posts
Slick56 wrote:
Yes MM I agree with the #s you posted on rec catches on stripers, but what ticks me off is just seeing so many fish being taken all at once. Im sure there are a lot of females in that net. I say this because I only take 2 fish per season for the table and never a female. This Comm has to feed his family, understood and dont have a problem with it at all.

How do you know the fish you take isn't a female? AFAIK there is no way to tell without dissecting the fish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
826 Posts
Mass murder!!

Looks like a mass murder... but i guess when there is nothing you can do there is nothing you can do!!

You can watch and i must say it is pretty impressive.

There is a company which makes long line style slide clips for surf fishing! i was going to try them this year.

nice calm day in the spring throw out a nice weight as far as i can and start sliding bait down on big circle hooks!! give it all night and reel it in in the morning. haha..

sort of like commerical fishing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MakoMike wrote:
Slick56 wrote:
Yes MM I agree with the #s you posted on rec catches on stripers, but what ticks me off is just seeing so many fish being taken all at once. Im sure there are a lot of females in that net. I say this because I only take 2 fish per season for the table and never a female. This Comm has to feed his family, understood and dont have a problem with it at all.

How do you know the fish you take isn't a female? AFAIK there is no way to tell without dissecting the fish.

I just assume the larger ones are females. I can be wrong but thats what I go by.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
Video....

You have MORE commercial fishermen on NorEast, or at least counting the "pin" fishers. More like a commercial Page then a recreational page. Another thing......think about when Party boats go after Stripers, they do it Day and Night, say 30 guys per boat times 2 keepers each. That's 60 a trip 120 day, one boat. I know sometimes they get nothing, but how many Party boats go out during Striper Season? Never mind Charter boats that are allowe 2 per fisher. In the Video how many fish did you see caught? 200? if that. For 3 days. 600 fish? Stop an think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,169 Posts
I hate to see that

Yeah and thats just 1 guy they got on video
what about all the others they didn't
. Come on they caught more fish in that Minute and Half video than I did all year:rolleyes:. Plus I release most of mine
. It's a crying shame but the more our population grows the more we consume. The fish don't stand a chance...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,718 Posts
nice set boys! It's legal and you know those fish are going to be used. As has been already been posted, "sport" fishermen on one day take a lot more fish than that one set, how many sport caught fish go to waste in the freezer?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,173 Posts
No matter what you say in here against the use of those nets in one way or another a commercial sympathetic moderator will spin it around to defend the comm's.


Do recreational fisherman kill more fish? No doubt since there are millions of us. That is a no brainer. We have the right to do so. Recreational fishing is the number "1" pastime in America. The fish are not their to be financially exploited.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
74,095 Posts
tiderunner70 wrote:
The fish are not their to be financially exploited.

Well you had better tell that to the folks in Washington D.C. because according to the MSA that's exactly why they are there. Why do you think that NOAA/NMFS is part of the Department of Commerce?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,350 Posts
tiderunner wrote:
Do recreational fisherman kill more fish? No doubt since there are millions of us. That is a no brainer. We have the right to do so. Recreational fishing is the number "1" pastime in America.

And comms don't have the right to do so??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,316 Posts
tiderunner70 wrote:
No matter what you say in here against the use of those nets in one way or another a commercial sympathetic moderator will spin it around to defend the comm's.


Alright Tom. Same rules still apply. Watch your accusations. I'll leave this comment up, because I guess you could say I am "sympathetic" but I still feel that is a stretch. But we're compromising here.

As far as any "spin" being applied, I leave that to you and the NYCRF to do in the propaganda you write, trying to lead folks to believe that stripers are in danger of another stock collapse.

tiderunner70 wrote:
Do recreational fisherman kill more fish? No doubt since there are millions of us. That is a no brainer. We have the right to do so. Recreational fishing is the number "1" pastime in America. The fish are not their to be financially exploited.

And TO **** with the millions more people that don't have direct access to the recreational striped bass fishing that we do, who the commercial fishermen are feeding! YEA! We don't need their stinkin' resources either! Like oil, gas, timber, paper, beef, poultry, gravel, minerals, metal ores (to build those cars and trucks we sell here on LI), etc. We have everything we need right here on Long Island!

That's not a "spin" Tom. It's a fact. We here on Long Island and all along the coast, rely on the natural reasources from other parts of the country for our lives. It's up to all of us to share this nations natural resources. Believe it or not, striped bass are a renewable resource, and as much as you want to keep the stripers all for the recs alone, it's completely unfair and selfish.

Chris

P.S. You do realize that you're responding to a thread from three years ago right?

P.P.S. I like it a lot more that Noreast leaves a tag behind to say when a post was edited by a mod and when, leaving them accountable for their actions, versus other websites that allow mods to edit posts without any evidence of it ever being done.

This post edited by Hunt n' Fish 05:31 PM 02/17/2011
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,173 Posts
MakoMike wrote:
tiderunner70 wrote:
The fish are not their to be financially exploited.

Well you had better tell that to the folks in Washington D.C. because according to the MSA that's exactly why they are there. Why do you think that NOAA/NMFS is part of the Department of Commerce?

Can't argue that.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top