NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone asked me to post this. I guess you already know this from my username. I have no problem catching monster size from the surf with lures or bait. The most important part of fishing for them is remembering to use black wire leader. Always use it or else you will lose 4/5 times.

Last fall I caught a 34" bluefish on bait. I got lucky using regular mono. I did got small cuts in the line. I was using 50lb leader fishing for bass and caught this monster. To me, it is a monster since I was using 10lb line.

Bait:
Here is my secret, chicken breast. Big strips of it. Leave the fat there too. I dont like to use bunker because it stinks on my hand. I sometimes used what I catch on my herring rig. Live snapper blues are good but U cannot keep more than 10 fish. I used bergalls instead. They got tough skin and no limit on size or number. Fished on a fishfinder rig.

Lures:
Nothing beats the Krocodile and Hopkins spoons.
I sometimes used swimming plugs. They are outstanding lures. I dont used bucktails because dont last at long.

Any questions? I am learning to be a Striper master right now.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
If you think chicken breast is good, you should try bacon strips. Lots of action and plenty of scent too. You have to stay away from the cheapo brands and go with the fine quality, thick cut Canadian bacon if you really want to maximize on this secret bluefish weapon.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They will all work. I have tried bacon before and caught lots of fluke. I even caught schoolies with marshmallows, the big kind.

I have caught bluefish with small budweiser cans. They eat anything you got that smells and looks big. I have seen people using sparkle plugs for them. Turn junk into lures.

Maybe I will try a banana for blues and bass.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
On the North shore few years back I fished the most awesome Gorrilla bluefish blitzs from the beach . These fish were running between 10 & 12.
I tell ya it was the coolest thing & I'll never forget it, I fished hundreds of bluefish blitzs but when the big biys do it its wild. .
So location has something to do with the equation,
of course deeper water of the S. shore yeilds these big boys also.
Have to admit , I never considered chicken or bacon as bait allthough knowing bluefish theyed also hit Pepperoni Pizza and Fettuccini Parmesan
Alan

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Actually, the best method I've found is to simply drift your boat, or swim right into the middle of the blitz, and either stick you finger out, or rip off your shorts. Once the blood gets flowing, the fish REALLY turn on. The best part is you don't need any bait, or tackle, so it's really fishing for free. Anyone see that movie with Kevin Kostner, Waterworld, where he uses himself for bait? Thats' where I got the idea!

Good Luck and Tight Lines

·
Registered
498 Posts
Also keep in mind that catch and release is not just for stripers I love to catch Blues and pound for pound there aint no tougher fighter so remember throw those snappers back and let em get big, it's also a great fish for teaching kids not only catching but releasing

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Whenever the movie Waterworld is brought up I always say how much I liked it and people look at me like I have 2 heads. The combo of that fine babe who played Costner's wife, Dennis hopper & all those awesome stunts and boating scenes makes for a fine flick in my book.
I got a friend at work who's father lost his whole index finger to a bluefish, so they like human flavored bacon too.
Alan

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Jean Tripplehorn......AAAAAAHHHH
Check her out as the Physch. in "Basic Instinct"

Isn't that why bluefish are also called three finger sharks?????

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I was about 10 yers old my father took me porgiw fishing behing the Long Beach High School.
We used chicken for bait. I strolled over to the other fisherman and when I told them what we where using, They all laughed. Later a few came up to see how we were doing and were amazed to see a pail full of fish.
Being that my gear is kept at his house in LB every time I gi=o fishing he breaks my chops about not using chicken

·
Registered
343 Posts
I had to recheck the date when this thread was first posted, I thought I slept through winter and it was April First. All I know is if Bluefish weighed 50# or 60# no one would swim.
TL
Shag

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You folks are very funny & entertaining...
I remember using salami (Hebrew National of course) to catch large Catfish in Florida when I was a boy visiting my cousins. I guess anything fresh that gives off oil/fat in the water will attract hungry fish. How about cheese?
The best Bluefish blitz I have encountered was also as a young boy up in Oyster Bay, Roosevelt Park Ramp. I went out with my Dad & my cousin (From Florida) on a friends boat. This guy did not know how to find fish, even with his Grady 204C. We were done & skunked for the day. When we pulled up to the ramp a huge school of Gator Bluefish had trapped a load of large bunker up against the ramp. The bunker were suffocating and we were able to pick them out of the water with our hands. Cut them up into chunks & tossed them out for some excellent battles with Bluefish probably in the high teens weight. The Bluefish were breaking everything, my tackle box was destroyed in the panic. I ran out of leader, so I used my shoelaces! I remember the final result was some Gator Bluefish lying on the shore & ramp with broken tackle & gear everywhere. It was glorious!
Some memories last forever...

Surf the Word!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found a new lure that works too. A spoon called Gator. It looks like a Krocodile imitation. I got many ****tail Blues and a 28" Striped Bass on it.

I discovered old socks work too on the bluefish. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sometimes during mild, quiet summer nites when you can hear the window-cleaners from Foxwoods belch here in Orient--much like I anticipate tonite to be--, and after the wife and kids go to bed, i slip out the garage and walk down the end of my road to Long Island Sound with a bucket full of White castle "Belly Bombers"...Use a rubber band around a 6/0 treble hook, cast out as far as you can, and hang on!!!! The big blues love it!!!

PS--You can rig the "Belly Bombers" with a hook, and a leader and "pre-freeze" them for maximum casting durability....

uuuugggghhhh...djed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.