NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,235 Posts
Sad but true, Craig.

If it weren't for our treasured 'celebrities' (most of whom hold anti-American views), we'd have far fewer magazines, rags, and banal TV shows.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Nice job, and well said. At least they published your letter. I have sent numerous letters to Newsday along the same lines as yours as well as some sports related stuff and the only thing they've ever published was a rant I had regarding the Jets.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I agree 100%, Craig. When I returned from the combat zone in SE Asia many moons ago, I was appalled at the lack of attention that the war and our returning soldiers (dead or alive) received. (Actually, it was worse then, because so many more were against the entire debacle.) It amazes me how editors from all over the country will pay more attention & give front page ink to Brittany's lack of stability and you-know-whats, than to cover the realistic world involving our heroic youth in the Middle East. Usually, unless it is a unusual set of circumstances, the war/soldier coverage starts on page 14 or later. It's insulting & insanity, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I think that it is very sad and a disturbing reflection of society that we as American citizens are more interested in Hollywood gossip / celebrties, and sports figures than the young men and women of our armed forces being killed and injured overseas. Why is this so? Is it because this war is half a world away? Is it because it's easier( and more interesting) to read about the sordid details of some spoiled celebrity who overdosed than about the young man or woman who lost his life or limbs to an IED? Is it because we feel this war doesn't directly affect us and don't really care? I for one cannot believe how people can buy magazines like People and Sports Illustrated and idolize these overpayed and spolied celebrities and sports figures. Want to idolize someone? Want to read an interseting story? How about the guy that puts himself in harms way so you dont't have to. How about the guy who leaves his family to do a job that pays little and doesn't offer millions in endorsements. We as Americans need to really appreciate the sacrifices being made by our soldiers. We should be outraged that soldiers recieve little pay and benefits while sports figures earn millions. Unfortunately, it's a topic thats not as interesting as Britneys breakdown. Anyway,I thank God every day that there are warriors who will do the things most of can't or won't do, and who are willing to sacrifice themselves for their American beliefs. They are the true heroes in my book!!

Thank you Craig for writing a fine editorial, and thank you to all veterans past and present - you guys rock and have my utmost respect!!

ED

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Well written letter, Craig. Nicely done.

and good job bumping that link, Latty. Great video Kat

schoolman...thank you for your service. Nam vets hold a special place in my heart. They are the only American soldiers that I can think of that didn't come home to yellow ribbons, parades and gratitude in general. Even though that was an unpopular war (sound familiar?) these guys were the unfortunate domestic targets of a generation that used them as pawns. The media calls them hippies, I call them selfish, spoiled little scumbags that promoted the "ME" generational mentality. Not all was bad during that period - did Detroit ever make a better V8?

Seriously...I know this thread isn't about Vietnam vets but I think about you guys from time to time, and Craig's thread reminded me of you again. I had family that served there and saw first hand how they were treated when they got back to the "world". Our neighbor and dear friends lost their son. One of those creatures from some anti-war group got his name from the obituaries, called his mother and told her he was glad that her baby killing son was dead. If you can imagine what that did to her, multiply it by ten.

Those were very different times, folks.

But.....many of these same individuals function in today's society, they're just a little bit older. They teach in our schools, run media enterprises, and some represent us in Washington. They follow the "I support the troops" mantra but they really don't fool me. They work on impressionable young minds because they want to re-live their romantic revolutionary "change". Remember...it's still all about ME.

sorry for the rant. I won't get into the rights and wrongs of Vietman or the politics involved. I just wanted to remind any younger readers that these are different times. I have nothing against Heath Ledger as I'm sure Craig doesn't. His family deserves our sympathy. With this "in your face" society we live in it's hard to remember that.

and bigfished - I think most working, taxpaying, budgeting folks out there feel the same way. Btw...be careful out there in Bk north.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
dawnpatrol136 wrote:
Well written letter, Craig. Nicely done.

and good job bumping that link, Latty. Great video Kat

schoolman...thank you for your service. Nam vets hold a special place in my heart. They are the only American soldiers that I can think of that didn't come home to yellow ribbons, parades and gratitude in general. Even though that was an unpopular war (sound familiar?) these guys were the unfortunate domestic targets of a generation that used them as pawns. The media calls them hippies, I call them selfish, spoiled little scumbags that promoted the "ME" generational mentality. Not all was bad during that period - did Detroit ever make a better V8?

Seriously...I know this thread isn't about Vietnam vets but I think about you guys from time to time, and Craig's thread reminded me of you again. I had family that served there and saw first hand how they were treated when they got back to the "world". Our neighbor and dear friends lost their son. One of those creatures from some anti-war group got his name from the obituaries, called his mother and told her he was glad that her baby killing son was dead. If you can imagine what that did to her, multiply it by ten.

Those were very different times, folks.

But.....many of these same individuals function in today's society, they're just a little bit older. They teach in our schools, run media enterprises, and some represent us in Washington. They follow the "I support the troops" mantra but they really don't fool me. They work on impressionable young minds because they want to re-live their romantic revolutionary "change". Remember...it's still all about ME.

sorry for the rant. I won't get into the rights and wrongs of Vietman or the politics involved. I just wanted to remind any younger readers that these are different times. I have nothing against Heath Ledger as I'm sure Craig doesn't. His family deserves our sympathy. With this "in your face" society we live in it's hard to remember that.

and bigfished - I think most working, taxpaying, budgeting folks out there feel the same way. Btw...be careful out there in Bk north.

It's nice to know that some remember. Thank you, dawnpatrol 136. Don't you sometimes feel like grabbing some folks (by the neck, if need be) and shaking them to help them see the light and the REALITY of the world? Probably most do not see things like you or I do, because they've never had the experience of seeing the rest of the world population and the conditions that different cultures live under.

With no disrespect to the awful events of 9/11, we have not had constant, enduring experiences of daily bombings, IEDs, war catastrophes, gang rapes, maimings, tortures, etc. on our own soil. If we did, I'm sure people would react differently and perhaps Alex and Stephon and Santana would take a back seat. Maybe firemen, teachers, police and other public servants, especially the soldiers, would get better recognized and rewarded.

It is true, dawnpatrol 136, the ME generation is here. (Just count the gas-guzzling SUVS & Hummers on 495.) I believe it started after the Kennedy assassination. The spirit of the Peace Corps died out. Conflicts and protests over another obscene debacle overwhelmed families and people's consciences. I think too many said I'm going my own way and not getting involved in that crapola, resulting in the current times of greed and gluttony.

I know I'm dreaming, but wouldn't it be nice if we had an effective leader (or current candidate) who could convince Americans that we should have mandatory public service. If we could work in positive directions to help our society and others, I'm sure we could make a difference with current problems such as obesity, homelessness, crime, hate against America, and even immigration. Besides, not everybody is cut out for soldiering. Kat, your tape made me think of the good feelings that one can get from serving in a group effort. Oh well, .... in another life. I leave my soapbox. Goodnight, Gracie! ... Or should I have said Brittany?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.