NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the Gambler out of Pt. Pleasant NJ on Sunday 1/27 w/ a collegue.
We fished a wreck approx 40 miles out 160' deep. Filled a cooler w/ ling & cod, None too big but all nice! Most were cought on gulp crabs. Fish were spitting up small crabs!
A bit hairy fishing, but decent catching!
Thanks for all for you help here
JD

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys...I'm psyched. Wanted to play w/ them for years. They are quite pretty fish, & on the right tackle fun to do battle with. Please don't get me wrong it was far from a cod bonanza & the majority catch was ling. 28 fares on the boat, At least 1/4 or more didn't fish due to seasickness. The pool winner was a hair short of 8lbs. Babes in New England cod fisher's terms, but a nice suprise to us down in NJ. I heard that gulp work well on ling (a.k.a. red hake), so my buddy tried a crab on bottom hook & scored a nice cod, then another (the pool winner). I imediatly switched & also scored 2 right away. We also pickled away at ling w/ the gulp crabs. We did notice that they were spitting up crabs so it made sence. We didn't stay on that wreck for very long as the ocean was starting to really kick up & more & more folks were heaving. Came, we came back in to a 30 mile wreck & by then the wind & current was ripping, jumped from 10 oz to 16 oz. From then on it was slow pick of ling, bannana grouper (congers), grey cod (spiny dogfish) & silver eels. Can't wait to get up you way & get into some real cod fishing! I wil be bringing the gulps,...oh yea & seasick meds! Scope patches work!
By the way....what are night whitting?
JD

This post edited by jjdbike 03:52 PM 01/28/2008

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.