NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.I am new here.I am moving to the US next year,from South Africa. Surf and rock fishing is huge here with really strong big fish. My question is what fish are you catching and which are the strongest etc.? I am moving to NY(but will travel to fish). We typically use 14" surf rods that can cast between 7 - 10 oz. Fish here range between 10-400 lbs(sharks).

· Registered
536 Posts
Welcome. Good job finding the best websource. Most guys here fish for stripers. Bluefish in the mix as well. Stipers range from a couple of pounds in the 20's typically. They do go 30, 40, 50, 60, but the numbers of those caught drop dramatically as you move up the scale. I don't know that I've read of a 70 caught recently. Blues from a couple pounds into the teens typically. There are other species as well. Rods are 9' to 12' and weights they can throw probably would depend on if you're slinging bait or throwing lures. Most guys here seem to be using lures, 9'-10' rods 30-50lb braid, lures from 1-3 oz. Lamiglas is rod of choice. I haven't heard of anyone here using 14' stick. Down in the Carolina's I think the go that big. That rod and weight here would be fine to throw bait with lead weight. I, by far, am not an expert here, but didn't want your post to go unresponded to. Use the "search" feature here and you can find the answer to virtually any crazy question you can cook up.

· Registered
536 Posts
NP. Now as for sharks, ours typically range north of that 400lb figure you mention you're getting down in South Africa. Rods and reels are not commonly used here in NY. Usually guys will just go out the the tip of jetty and throw raw meat (often road kill, deer, raccoon, etc.)in the surf. Once the sharks are in range we just shoot 'em (Smith & Wesson 500)and wait for them to wash ashore. Much more efficient and cost effective.

· Registered
3,676 Posts
jericho wrote:
Hi all.I am new here.I am moving to the US next year,from South Africa. Surf and rock fishing is huge here with really strong big fish. My question is what fish are you catching and which are the strongest etc.? I am moving to NY(but will travel to fish). We typically use 14" surf rods that can cast between 7 - 10 oz. Fish here range between 10-400 lbs(sharks).

Welcome! Max said it best...and as you can see we're real cowboys around here ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.