NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A OLD 19' GRADY CUDDY AND NEED SOME THOUGHTS ON AN ENGINE. I HAVE A FRIEND WITH A 1990 JOHNSON GT 100HP. PERSONAL FRIEND SO I KNOW THE BOAT NEVER SAW SALT WATER. POWER TRIM & TILT, CONTROLS AND OIL INJ. FAIR PRICE AND SHOULD IT PUSH THE BOAT ABOUT THE SAME AS THE 1988 125HP FORCE THAT WAS ON THE GRADY. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
philb102,

I think you will be underpowered. That's a 20% reduction in HP. I don't think the Force was equiped from the factory from Grady but I may be wrong.

What does the label plat say for Max HP? That should give you a clue as to what the boat should have. Also keep in mind if you go with this motor and it is underpowered that your fuel consumption will go up because the motor will be working harder to maintain a decent speed.

Capt. Marc

·
Registered
23 Posts
philb102
Ditto on Capt Marc's reply. I have an 18'Grady cc
with a 150. I don't always use it all but it sure is nice getting on plane and when the boat is loaded down with gear , people etc.... It gets 4 mpg at cruise. I would stay with a motor in the 125-150 hp range , especially if you plan on keeping the boat awhile
outlaw

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think there's no doubt that the boat would be setup much better with more HP but if you were happy with the force 125HP you will be more happy with the 100hp omc V4. That omc V4 will blow that force away .... force motors don't come close to their adevertised ratings and that 100HP V4 is a real stump puller ... lots of torc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THE BOAT WHEN I BOUGHT IT CAME WITH AN OLD JOHNSON SEAHORSE 80HP WHICH SEEMED UNDER POWERED. I DID NOT HAVE MUCH MONEY SO I THREW THE FORCE ON IT TO GET A COUPLE OF YEARS WHICH IS WHAT I GOT. OTHER PEOPLE HAVE ALSO TOLD ME THE 100HP JOHNSON WOULD PULL THE 125 FORCE ALL OVER THATS WHY I WAS CONSIDERING MOVING DOWN TO THE 100HP. THE MOTOR HAS NOT BEEN RUN IN A COUPLE OF YEARS. ANYTHING TO BE CONCERNED WITH AS FAR AS SEALS DRYING OUT OR WATER PUMP IMPELLER ROT.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
It'll be more dependable, couple mph's slower then the Force { what 5 @ most} and the boat will top out around 30 mph, cruise it between 15-20 mph . Sure it would be slightly underpowered but if you got a good deal on a fresh water motor you know the history of kinda hard to pass up.
alan

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you were using the boat with an 80 hp and that was acceptable to you then I would go with the 100 hp. When buying a used engine knowing its history and owner can be a big plus. More hp is better but if this is a good deal and what you can afford, 100 hp is better then nothing!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO. THE 100 HP FELL THRU THE GUY DECIDED HE WANTED TO KEEP IT SO I'M BACK ON THE HUNT. THANKS FOR THE REPLIES.

TIGHT LINES TO ALL
PHIL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.