NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started fishing the reef last year. I had some pretty good luck catching sea bass while drifting in the reef area. Do you think I should try anchoring, do I need to anchor to catch the other species on the reef. How much anchor line should I use and what kind of anchor.
Would appreciate any advive.

Thanks, Treypescatorie

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think your seabass catch will increase if you anchor, or better yet grapple on to the reef.

If you do anchor, get up wind or current and make sure you drop the anchor on clean ground. That wreck will eat up your anchor.

A grapple is easy to make and I am sure a search on this site will give you some good ideas to start with.

Good Luck

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I have seen people out there but I have never tried it but I would like to try.How big is this reef and what is down there? I love seabass and so does my son. Is this thing on a chart? Any help.

bcmeyer

·
Registered
22 Posts
I highly recommend buying the book "How To Fish Wrecks,Lumps and Rockpiles" by Capt Greg Venturo.It will teach you proper anchoring technique so you can do it with confidence on any piece.If you love bottom fishing,its a must.It costs about $20 and you can get it at Terminal Tackle in Kings Park and probably a lot of tackle shops also or write to
1620 Beaver Dam Rd
Point Pleasant, NJ 08742

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.