NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fishers,
Let us get technical with fishing and hope everyone can get a little out of this topic.

First I like to start with a few questions and see how many sharpies out there can answer my questions.

1) How does the moon affect your fishing?
2) Which moon phase do you prefer to fish and why?
3) Please tell me what you know about moonrise and set?
4) Do you like full moons?

I do not care if you fish freshwater, tidal creeks, bottom/wreck, ocean or surf. I know there are a few sharpies out there?. Come out and let?s play.

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
618 Posts
Good questions.

1,2) I don't care about the moon phase. I'm only interested in tidal stages and current speeds. Although the current speeds are obviously affected by the moon phase, it's not consistent. For example the tide isn't always screaming on a full moon.

3) moon rise - Don't like it.
moon set - Good. The less light the better.

4) I don't like bright full moons.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Alberto,

What I've learned so far about moon phases and tides as they relate to fishing conditions:

On the south shore, a moon tide means not only fast current, but alot of weed since the tide usually runs higher and grabs the weed off the beach. I've caught fish with a clear, bright, moonlit sky as well as on moon-less nights. I think a moon tide is great at the mouth of the Nissequogue simply because of the speed of the current and because you can wade out further on the bar at short beach. When the fish are there, they tend to feed pretty actively with a moon tide.

Since I am fairly new to this, and since you have asked about moon phases, let me now ask you to put this issue in a broader context. I would like to know from you and others on this discussion board how you prioritize all of the relevant fishing conditions (fishing reports, weather, wind direction, wind speed, tide, moon phase) and use them to pick a spot for a given day. You could use this weekend as a for instance: no moon, cloudy, wind from SW clocking to NW and gusting to 40mph. knowing that stripers are still making their way west along both shorelines (?), and based on these conditions, what areas on the island (south shore, north shore, Montauk)would you predict to be good areas to fish, and why? I suspect wind could be a big factor this weekend because it will be gusty. Do you agree?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have always thought the Full moon was a better time to be fishing from a boat, and the New moon better for the surf. Actually, a few days before or after either has worked better for me. I agree about the comment about weed. I know Bass hate light, so the Full moon should keep 'em deep, while the New moon has 'em in the suds. Again. I am referring to a few days before or a few days after. I would be interested in your answer about winds. With winds variable from Northwest to Southwest, I would imagine the sandbar at Demo might be a good place to be, especially if the outgoing tide coincides with darkness. How'd I do?

Flounder

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.