NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent my first 21 years of life on the east coast, last 16 in northen California. Headed to Montauk to join the masses for 4 days, Labor Day weekend, and plan to surf fish while there. Day/Night Bait/Artificial it don't matter I just want a shot at catching some fish, preferably stripers or blues... FYI on a scale of 1 to 10 in surf fishing I am an 8. I would love some advice on what I can expect to run into under the lighthouse or off the beach that time of year, realizing I will be early for the fall run. I'll be staying in a beach house close to Amagansett. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and if you guys want to know the scoop on salmon/ steelhead fishing out here, give me a shout, I have it wired.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi Jim,
You may hit it real good that Labor Day weekend. Early September can be really good with both Bass and blues tacken on artificials. 1to2oz bucktails, pencils, almost anything in your bag can work. Sometimes the bait is so thick that nothing works. The entire lighthouse area is the place with Turtle Cove a good place to get your feet wet. Check this board closer to your arrival and John Skinners reports in this publication for the skinny on the situation. Whats Northern Cali? Santa Cruz or up near Greys? I won't even play that rating game cause if I claimed I was a 10, I'd have a season like a 2.
TL
Shag

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
re:

Thanks for the come back, Shag... I put the rating on there just to give you guys an indication that I am not a newbie. God knows I probably have jinxed my whole trip because of it!!

You mention the chance of a slug of bait being around that time. Are we talking rain-bait? Man I miss slinging lure into the ocean. Out here our surf fishing opportunities are limited to the rocky shorelines for Pacific Lingcod and species of Pacific rockfish.

Northen Cali in my case is extreme northern. Humboldt County is 250 miles north of San Fran, and a county away from Oregon. We just started our off-shore salmon season and it's looking like a banner year for both the salmon run and albacore. Make your reservations now!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Jim, Its mostly rainbait, bay anchovie,peanuts. A live eel at night and not in blitz conditions will sometimes get the larger fish. Northern Cali soounds like its making a comeback. Has the Portland area also rebounded. I'd love to get outto the Gorge again. Its been 9 years.
Shag

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.