NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I figured my first post should be a good one. My friend James and I fished Montauk opening day for fluke on the Lazybones. We had a great time with a good crew, but nothing compared to Saturday on the Yak's. We are both new to "Yakking", but I think we are hooked. Went out on them about 6 times last year.

We fished away from all the boats that were in 60 feet of water by the Rader tower. There were only about three boats that were as west as we were.

I picked up three fish, two keepers with the biggest my largest Fluke to date...8lbs 10oz! Great time flopping that think into the little Yak. The fish was bigger than any I saw come into the dock on opening day. What a workout coming back from 40-50 feet water.

I hope to have a good time this year fishing for Bass out in Montauk. I will try and post my reports here and some pics. Here is a nice pic below.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grouse,

I don't know him, I did see someone on Sunday Yakking in the same area I was. I tried to catch up to him, but he was gone. I just got into Yakking, so everything I am doing is trial and error.

Does anyone fish those waters on here?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mike, Way to go! I just got my Yak about a month ago. I don't think I'm ready for Montauk yet but I will be going there in the fall. I spend a lot of time at Camp Hero. I noticed some white water in back of you. How was it launching in that stuff?

John LIBBA 440

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
White water

John,

I am pretty new at it too. I took some nasty spills last year coming back in. Especially by the IGA area were the waves seem to crash on the shore ( I haven't figured that out yet) Launching doesent seem to be the problem for me, its landing.

The area where we were at has a lot of rollers. The surfers love it when it is big. There was no rocks so I will take some chances. It looks worse than it was, they were small-- three ft tops usually in sets. We just waited for a lull in the sets-- then paddle like [email protected]$#%. Coming back in we surfed some small waves. Lots of fun.

We have not launched from the rocks at Hero yet, but I am definatly going to give it a shot next time I am out (I fish the south side from browns to Caswells all the time), I know it will produce well.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Good outing. Great catch. Looks like you guys are paddling Cobra Explorers.

Isn't it funny how most guys are concerned about going out through the surf? Its the coming back in that's the hard part. At least if you dump you're going in anyway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hero has that area at the bottom of the road that doesn't look too bad as far as rocks go. The beach is a little steep but I guess if the water isn't too rough it might not be too bad. I love that Fluke. I would to catch a Fluke that big as much as a big Bass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey the picture came out nice --- Next time the big one is coming up on the "red yak" -- That was my drift!!! Anyway, I'll still kick your ass on the Golf course Saturday!! Double or nothing! See you later

James

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.