NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed to Montauk on Wed./Thursday. Anyone have any thoughts on what the big blow has done to the surf fishing. Has the blow chased out all of the rain bait that gave us wild action a week or so ago? Has it opened it up even more? Any predictions??

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi:
Talked to a few chartermen yesterday. They all agreed that those Prisoners will be ravenous after this blow. One man said that the wind dropped out and shifted to the North with a little West in her about 2:00 P.M. yesterday. That certainly sounds great for the surf men.
Give it a day for all that sand and sea to lay down and it's fall bonanza time.
Wish I could be there Wed. night.YOWZA!

Keep your feet dry and catch 'em up.
Joe B. ...aka...Ancient Mariner
www.ancientmarinertackle.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
Could you give me some info, on Rain Bait. I have probably seen it before but not realized it. One person told me it has a reddish hue, another told me it is white. Should plugs match the color scheme? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Hello All,
I was out there during the gusty Northeastern and it was a hoot! Shagwong Pt. was the place to be for the big ones. The front (Scotts and Bluff) was also hosting a few cows under the white wash!

Now? let me explain what ?rain bait? is?. It?s a large pod (schools) of juvenile baitfish (spearing, anchovies, and peanut bunker)! Yes, it has a light reddish hue which means they are in stress (chased down by predators)!

This is the season where a large body of migration fish (little tunnies, blues and bass) gorges themselves with rainbait as they fatten up during the nursery ground migration!

If you are going to fish it? stick to white bucktail (tipped with pork rind) during daylight and yellow bucktail during low light! Also, there are times where distance counts?. And that?s when a tin like (charlie graves, kastmasters, hooligans, hopkin and diamond jigs) has the edge.

These blitzes are absolutely wild and that is one of the reasons why sharpies visit the great MECCA this time of the year!

Hope this helps!

?Crazy? Alberto

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.