NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ususally don't say much, but knowing just a few of you fine guys personally I wanted to take this opportunity to share some thoughts with you at a difficult time.

My mother passed away unexpectedly at 82 years of age on 12/27. She had heart surgery three years ago which didn't really slow her down much at all. Seven weeks ago she had pulmonary hypertension - high blood pressure in her lungs - which caused her to be hospitalized for 4 weeks at Montefiore Hospital and then three weeks at at Shervier rehabilitation facility, both in the Bronx where she received good and loving care. A week before Christmas she came home; slowed a bit by her breathing difficulties, but home nontheless. We all grew up in the small neighborhood where she still lived and she got to see her lifelong friends and receive the loving care of my sisters and my mom's twin sister. Her prospects were all positive. Several days before Chrristmas she suffered a relapse and was hospitalized again, this time with a breathing tube and pacemaker. We were told it was serious. I couldn't see her in her fragile condition because I had a severe flu and might have passed it on to her. On 12/27 she bounced back to the amazement of her doctors; her breathing was normal and her vital signs were all getting stronger. All heart and lung support were removed. My wife and 18 year old daughter rushed down to see her with renewed optimisim and gave us all glowing reports of her condition by cell and text. Shortly after they left at noon I received a call from my sister that another relapse had occurred. Mom was back on the breathing tube and pacemeker and was again in a fraglie state. Having that feeling we all have at times that tells us what to do I rushed down to be there not knowing what to expect. I arrived to find my 2 sisters, my mom's twin sister and my 25 yr old son and their looks made words unnecessary. She was still with us but it didn't look good. I went in to see mom and found her heavily sedated and on life support. The young doctors were so compassionate and gentle in telling us that mom was shutting down and she was in the process of dying. We all told her how proud we were of her for having fought so bravely for so many weeks and of course how much we loved her but that it was now time to rest, to go in peace and join my father in heaven where they could be together for his 87th birthday which is today. Just a few minutes later the machines told us she had passed; so gracefully and with such dignity leaving us standing, crying and loving her and each other over her now lifleless body. It was such a blessed and sacred momont and I'm so thankful I was there with her. I then recounted for them the brave struggle mom had waged and the tremendous strength and determination she exhibited in her efforts to stay with us.

Mom's funeral service was held at St. Philip Neri Church on 12/31. It was a wonderful event. I called on all of her strength to eulogize her; first thanking family members, my sisters for their unending care and devotion to mom, my aunts and uncle for their lifelong love , my dear wife for the unending love and relentless assistance she gave my family, and my four wonderful children for their love and devotion to their dear grandmother, for all the joy they brought her since the days they were born and for growing into young adults of such high moral character to make granandma and all of us proud. The Mass was attended by hundreds of family members and friends; a great testament to a great woman.

Every time I cry for losing mom I'm stopped almost immediatley by thoughts of her strength and how good and wonderful her life was. The pain of losing her is a good thing; it represents how special she was and that's something to celebrate, not cry about.

Thanks for listening. I love you Mom. Happy Birthday Dad.

This post edited by MickieBelle 04:47 AM 01/01/2008

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Mickie,
sorry for your loss.That was beautifully written about your mom,that tells of the long,lasting sweet memories you will have.She is in a better place now...
paulie

·
Registered
12,042 Posts
Mickie, My prayers go out for you and your family.

Don

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
God bless your Mom's soul.

I am sure she is very proud of you for the story you shared with us. All your wonderful thoughts of your Mother can never be taken from you.

CN

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Sorry to hear of your Mother?s passing, Bill.

She sounds like a remarkable woman who was blessed with one of the more important things in life - a loving family.
My condolences to you and the rest your family.

·
Registered
14,513 Posts
That was a beautiful tribute to your mother!!!!

My Mom is going downhill pretty fast, she is also 82, I did not think I could bare the loss of her, but your words have pointed me in a different direction in my heart.

I don't know you , but I want to thank you for sharing that.

God Bless you and your family.

Lincoln

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
My family just spent our 2nd holiday season without mom so I understood your post, MickieBelle. I couldn't even post about it at the time. Family was in shock and it was the year without Christmas.

Time heals, my friend. May she rest in peace.

·
Registered
35,001 Posts
My condolances to you and your family MickieBelle. We lost my grandmother some years ago on Christmas eve and my step dad on Easter, your words hit home and say alot obout the person your mom was. She will always be in your heart for you to draw your strength.
May your mom rest in peace.

G

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.