NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anyone have any experience using these reels for deepwater (>300') jigging? Thinking about one but am not sure how they hold up and the quality.

My arms are getting tired the deeper I go!

Thanks
Capt. Marc

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
In my opinion, it is not a good idea to use a electric reel for codfishing. We sometimes fish more than 300 feet, but mostly we jig less than 250 feet water. I purchased Miya Command X.1 for jigging halibut in Alaska( sometimes we have to jig more than 600 feet). It is light enough to jig all day long and strong enough to catch over 100 lbs halibut. If you don't like use electic mode, you can reel in manually like regular reel.
Also the Command X.l is on sale now($439).

ksong

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KILSONG,

Thanks for the info. I currently have a electramate and burned out the motor using it from july (new) til a few weeks ago. I am waiting to get it back from the shop. It is an ok reel but when something goes wrong your stuck which happened 2x. The crank on the miya is a good idea just in case.

What is the automatic jigging mode all about? That may be useful when the fishing is real slow.

Is it somewhat water resistant? My boat is pretty wet sometimes.

Thanks
Marc

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Capt. Marc,

It has jigging function. This feature lets you setup your own length of each pull and the time between each jigging motion.
They say the reel is built for standard water resistance. I am going up to Hyannis, MA. this weekend for codfishing. If you want to test my reel before you buy, please let me know.

kilsong

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KILSONG,
Thanks for the offer. I hope to buy something by the begining of the fishing season up here in the spring.

Let us know how you do codfishing. Are you going on the "H" and which trip (wk, drift, gorges, whale)? I am real jealous and will have to make time to take one of these trips. It's been at least 3 weeks since my last cod trip.

Keep an ear on the new proposed regs (see previous posts). If everyone is restricted to 10 cod I don't think the H will be doing this anymore.

Tight Lines
Capt. Marc

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Capt. Marc,

I fished yesterday(12/02) on Helen-H. Fishing was OK. We drift mostly on open bottom(100 - 150 feet). The average catch was 5 - 20 per person. There was not many throwback. I caught 34 keeper(might be high hook) on light jig(10 - 12 ounce). There was so many dog fish we could't use bait. Capt Joe told me that the area Helen-H fish is not affected by the decision of the new proposed regs.

ksong

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KILSONG,

That's a pretty good catch. I went on the Yankee Sunday out of Glouster. The Capt was pretty decent since he drifted all day and the other Yankee boat was on anchor. He put us on to a school of jumbo pollock (10-30lbs). I caught 2 double headers and a few singels for a total of 80lbs pollock (only about 6 fish). I also caught 3 nice haddock (chowder tonight). There were 5 whale cod caught from 30-38lbs amongst a few more scrod.

Electramate said they will fix the reel (NC) so I will probably stay with them although I will ahve to take a hard look at the Miya since it has more features.

Thanks for the reply and info.

Capt. Marc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.