NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a backup reel to my workhorse Penn 6500 (teamed with a Lamiglass 10') and ran across the Mitchell Nautil Saltwater and thought it was interesting a sealed waterproof rig for about $160. Also looking at Fin Nor Ahab 16A - Does anyone have experience with either of these reels and are they worth the extra$ over the 6500?? As always the guidance from the saltydogs here is always appreciated and valued. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nautil

Smelly, I have a the 6500 matched with a arra 1083, that I use for plugging and I love the reel. Smooth and waterproof with 3 spools its a really great real. I used is all last year and didnt have one problem with it so far, and I just did some casting this weekend to see make sure it works :). If you wade and toss lures, I bet this reel with replace your penn. If you are chucking bait, and your not getting wet stick with your penn for the few bucks less.

I know of a few guys have the 7500 and they use it for everything, bait and lures and they love it too, to me though the 7500 is a bit big for throwing lures all night.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just picked up the Nautil 6500 for my 10' lami. I bought a brand new Penn 6500 at the beginning of last season. I ended up rebuilding the Penn like 3 times due to salt and Sand intrusion while in the surf. The Penn 6500 is a nice real for back bay and boating. It just can't handle the punishment of fishing in the surf. I did a lot of research before I bought the Nautil. All the write ups and comments from the hardcore guys indicate that this real will stand up to the rigors of surf fishing. Good luck with it, I think you made a good choice!:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.