NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a question for any of the Suffolk county freshwater fishermen. I'm a student at Stony Brook University who just started classes this year and a friend of mine who has fished the area for a few years wanted to take me out to experience some of the freshwater species available. We both headed out to Mill Pond in Setauket. I was using fly gear while he used a light spinning set-up. I was scouting along the edge of the pond looking for a spot on the shore to cast from when I was stopped by a gentleman in a vehicle and asked if I knew that the park belonged to a private fishing club. I told him I was unaware of that and that I was a student at the university. He then asked if I was a local resident and I told him that I lived close by (I'm used to the Florida definition of "close-by" which is anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes away) in Mount Sinai. He then made it very clear that I wasn't allowed to fish in the pond and that it was only accessible to local residents. I decided it'd be best to head home and avoid any issues and went to check whether Mill Pond is a private club or DEC managed. The DEC lists that Mill Pond has public fishing access through the local park. However, I found a local paper article (http://www.northshoreoflongisland.com/pdf/vt_010611w.pdf see page A7) that outlines the creation of the fishing club and rules that members must follow. I'd like a little clarification on whether the pond actually is publicly accessible or if it is private. If it's publicly accessible, then I'd like to know why the new club is being antagonistic towards the public. In general, I appreciate their rules but feel some of them may be a bit severe. If it's not publicly accessible, then they ought to contact the DEC and get the website changed to prevent misunderstanding.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, this is the one located a little farther north by Setauket Harbor and Little Bay. It's right down the street from the Emma Clark Memorial Library. However, if you hear anything about that one, please let me know. It's also near the university and would be good to know.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mill Pond

I've been fishing that pond for nearly twenty years....I've taken my pontoon boat with an eletric trolling motor on there several times. One time, DEC rolled up and made sure that the pontoon boat was registered. THe care-taker that lives on the grounds actually asked if I would help by removing any fishing line he couldnt reach from the shore. My buddies and I have used waders there often and never a problem (watch out for the turtles...HUGE) This was in the last ten years. Then, one time I brought my friend and as we were loading the pontoon boat into the pond, some enraged guy came driving down saying he was part of some organization that maintains the pond and that we couldn't use the pontoon. He said signs were being posted, but I've never seen them. I decided to leave it alone at the time, but it never sat well with me. In the end, I still fish there (clean up trash and fishing line, catch and release, don't bother the bedding bass) I haven't been bothered since and if confronted again, I don't plan on leaving since I haven't been shown the proof otherwise. I'll concede the pontoon boat, since I don't want the headache since it attraches alot of attention, but I won't leave again simply if some guy with no authority or identification comes by and says its off limits.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
The Mill ponds are maintained by a private group. I believe if you park in behind the post office there, you'll see one of their signs posted by the gate to the path. But there aren't any signs around the ponds to let anyone know they can't fish there. One of my friends used to go up there to snag the carp in there and never had a problem.

I can't imaging putting a pontoon boat in there lol.

FloridaAdam, check out some of the sumps on campus.

And stop down at the Checkmate Inn for drinks on Thursday evenings.

Chris

This post edited by Hunt n' Fish 10:24 AM 06/27/2011

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris, I've tried out the sump near the Wang center. I was practicing some fly fishing as I'm still a bit of a novice at it. Almost got some of the sunfish in there to bite, but need to tie myself a new fly. The one I currently have sinks far too fast. Also, the Checkmate Inn is quite the place. The bartender there is a really nice guy. Had a lot of fun with a bunch of friends there.

Edit 7/16/2011:
A friend of mine who fishes the Mill Pond frequently called Phil Brady about the fishing club. It is a privately managed pond as Chris said and there are signs posted up. The fishing club requires you to fill out an application, though my friend said they weren't too picky about your address. It costs $25 a year to maintain membership with them and they give you a little badge to wear. If you're interested, call Phil Brady and he should be able to explain any details. It would be good if the DEC made a small note on their website saying that a local permit is required. It would help prevent any misunderstandings.

This post edited by FloridaAdam 10:13 PM 07/16/2011

1 - 8 of 8 Posts