NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the metal lip swims but the bottle is a dud, very little action anyway. It's my first so I guess I'll learn from it, not a total loss. I also know why it doesn't have the action I want, thanks, BM, Jent and Slip:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mag, the metal lip swims good, don't know if you thought that is the one I was having trouble with. The bottle doesn't have good action, I know what is wrong with it. The sides of the head/lip should be sloped back toward the eyes. I'll fix it eventually. If it is a bottle plug you were gonna post then go ahead, I'd like to get a look at as many as possible, thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
BA, don't bother fixing it. My first bottle is similar but I will still fish it. It will double as a darter almost. Leave the single bucktail behind it and fish it anyway. Just use it when the fish want the bait on a little faster retrieve.

This message was edited by slipknot on 1-16-02 @ 12:29 AM

·
Registered
959 Posts
Slip,
That's good advice...I think about the countless things I've fiddled with over the years, trying to get them right when I'd have been way better off letting it go and starting new...

Jerry Vovcsko,
East Bridgewater, Ma

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,
The picture doesn't tell everything needed to make the plug work. Is it weighted? where? how? how much weigth? what kind of wood? size weight of hooks? placement of hooks. do you want it to swim deep or shallow? take a look at a gibbs , both a new one and one from 30 years ago . look at a superstrike lip. I've seen perfect knockoffs of these bodies that don't work. Theres more to a plug then meets the eye. Old timers would sit with a bucket of water and test each plug before they would buy, for no two pieces of wood are the same. And after all that, to any surf nut does it cast?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rat, the bottle worked when I tested it without paint. I wanted more wobble so I modified the lip, didn't test it after that until I painted it. It is weighted slightly back from center. and I know it needs a slope on the sides of the head, I am well aware that this is a multifactoral issue. thanks for your input/criticism.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.