NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
according to newsday .com a 38 ft sportfish was taking on water 12 miles off the vessel green eyes which is a 38 cabo. I know of the boat. Not good.........apparently they were all resued , just dont understand what they were doing out in ten foot seas specially this time of year

·
Registered
27,361 Posts
The U.S. Coast Guard has rescued three fishermen from a sinking boat off of Fire Island Inlet and has air-lifted them Wednesday morning to the Coast Guard Station on Fire Island. Sources said the rescue helicopter was originally headed to either Republic Airport in East Farmingdale or Long Island-MacArthur Airport in Ronkonkoma, but was diverted to Fire Island due to low fuel.

The condition of the rescued fishermen is unknown. But a source said they are to be transported via ambulance to a nearby hospital for observation.

The men were rescued from a 38-foot fishing boat called "Green Eyes," which was reportedly "taking on water" 12 miles off Fire Island Inlet, according to a U.S. Coast Guard spokeswoman. She said rescue craft were dispatched to the scene sometime around 9 a.m.

The situation was dire, because of the severe conditions in the Atlantic Ocean off Fire Island at this time of year.

According to the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration's National Data Buoy Center, a buoy south of Islip reports the current water temperature is 42.4 degrees Fahrenheit -- with winds at 24 knots and 10 foot seas in the area.

The rescue craft dispatched to the location of the sinking ship included a helicopter from USCG Air Station Atlantic City, the Coast Guard cutter Riddley from Montauk and a rescue boat from the Coast Guard base on Fire Island.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Seajay2 wrote:
Glad to hear they made it to the hospital safely. Any offshore sinking at this time of year where the boat occupants are rescued is a big success story.

Who said the boat sunk? Did I miss that part?

·
Administrator
112,311 Posts
MakoMike wrote:
Seajay2 wrote:
Glad to hear they made it to the hospital safely. Any offshore sinking at this time of year where the boat occupants are rescued is a big success story.

Who said the boat sunk? Did I miss that part?

i dont think anyone said sunk but they did mention sinking ship

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
ihavegills wrote:
I pack my dry suit on off shore trips and people who know think I'm nuts.

Eric,

Your not nuts at all , us kayakers are actutely aware of cold water. I am not a boater , but I would think for anyone in a boat where water temperatures could be fatal with an unexpected trip into water should have on a dry suit.

John

·
Registered
17,235 Posts
Seajay2 wrote:
Glad to hear they made it to the hospital safely. Any offshore sinking at this time of year where the boat occupants are rescued is a big success story. agreed. 80 minutes in a life raft in those conditions, even with immersion suits, must have seemed like an eternity to those three

I hope they all went out and bought Meggy Millions tickets...they're dam' lucky to be alive

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
it a good one

Neeko wrote:
who the heck goes out in 10 foot seas?

Well 10 ft seas they had the life boat and dry suits ready and the insurance was paid up i bet :)

you never know ;)
Most important part was all were safe in the end

This post edited by togmaster 06:26 PM 02/13/2008

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Forecast

The weather was clearly forecast as a bummer. Snow turning to heavy rain. This A.M., winds were pretty brutal from my living room window, no less from 12 mi. south of F.I. It might have been caused by an obsessive / compulsive / testosterone overdose. I've seen it happen all too many times where suddenly the worst case scenario shows its head. (I know I've been there a few times. Mr. Murphy suddenly appears. I'm shuttering at the thought of that guy right now.) I can see how someone who may have just moved up from say a 25' GW into a 38' Post. You might start to think, "Oh man, this boat can handle anything. Not like the old skiff. Gee, the cod reports are surprisingly good. Hey, Charley, you want to get your crew for Wednesday? We'll only go 15 mi. out." And of course, since the guys took a day from work, you foolishly go. I'm sure many of you know what I mean. Been there, done that type of thing.

I hope that some people reading about this incident will gain something worthwhile out of it ... like don't sail in crapola, especially during the northeast winters when very few boats are around.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
MakoMike wrote:
Neeko wrote:
who the heck goes out in 10 foot seas?

Maybe they were coming back from a trip and got caught out?

Thats my bet.....like bhm25 said, look at the port of call, Mass......News 12 said it was a commercial lobster boat.......of course I don't believe everything the new says...........put it all together and I'd put my money on they were trying to get back to the nearest port, but who knows there are crazy people out there.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.