NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound silly but, what is the legal length of a striper?

From nose to the fork in the tail?

Or from nose to tip of the tail?

Thanks
Harry

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
It's not 28 inches from the tip of the bottom tailfin to the top of the nose (you can squeeze out an additional inch if you measure a striper diagonally). -This is the wrong way.

The correct way is to lie the fish down and place your yardstick next to the fish. If the fish is 28" in length from tip to tip measured in a straight line, it is legal.

·
Registered
404 Posts
according to a conversation i had with Byron Young of NYSDEC a few years ago, you measure a straight line from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail with the two lobes of the tailfin squeezed together.
you should also keep in mind, however, that a straight line is not a tape following the curve of the fishes width as it measures from tip to tip. just as a boats length is measured stem to stern down her centerline and not along her gunnel.
bottom line - if it's that close you're better off releasing it.

set,
opinari

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Have to agree with OPINARI - if you have to measure it - it should go back. I don't keep anything under 30"'s (personal keeper size I've set for myself)or if I've already got fish in the freezer - it goes back regardless of size.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Have to agree with opinari and wader if you have to measure throw it back. A 28inch fish probably has not had a chance to breed, I also will not take a fish under 30' and really only take home 2 maybe three fish a year

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.