NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on many types of party boats and i find that mates have a large effect on your fishing day. If you get on to a boat and you ask the mate to help you out and he makes it seem like your making him work all day then I usually don't return to that boat. Now I don't mind what the mate does(if he fishes a little) as long as he helps me out when i need help(which doesn't happen often, I like to do things myself), and is kind and welcoming to the costomers.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The best mates hands down are on the Capt Al out of Point Lookout. Even broke down our tackle and rinsed off the gear. Saw one mate pull money out of his own pocket to buy another fair a ginger ale that was a little green around the gills.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great

The Mates on the Capt. Al are some of or if not the best I have ever delt with. That is one of the reasons I go out almost every weekend on that boat. The great mates and capt.(Tom) keep the people coming back(I mean come on the boat isn't very welcoming and desirable, but I like it).

J.R.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I agree with the above posts. A big reason why the mates on the Al are well liked is that they DON'T FISH! Neither does Capt. Tom for that matter. I've been on boats where the fishing has been a very slow pick and have had the Capt. fishing on my left and a mate fishing on my right. They shouldn't be competing with the paying fares for the obviously few fish that are down there. If the fishing is hot, they should be too busy helping the customers to fish. Personally, I will not fish on boats on which the crew fishes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree

I also prefer to do my own thing and try to rely on the mates as little as possible. But if your tog fishing, chances are you are going to get stuck or pulled down and may need a new set-up.

I was out on a boat out of sheepshead, (which will remain nameless) and the current was really bad, you could hardly feel the tog pulls, at any rate, on either side of me was the capt and a mate. When I called for a new rig, I was told to wait a second.

Needless to say I will not be going out on that boat again. Personally, I have no trouble with the mates fishing, but when it interfer's with my own fishing I get angry. I did find out the reason why they were really going for the fish instead of helping the customers when we got back to the boat: the dock was lined with people wanting to buy fish.

My personal favorite boats are the Klondike out of New Rochelle and the the Daybreak III out of City Island.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Capt. Al

Definately some hard working mates on Al. Funny story from years back regarding the "crew" fishing. I was codfishing on Al maybe 25 years ago, nasty seas, Capt Al himself is storming around the upper deck, impatiently waiting for somebody to hook up. "[email protected] **** it, I know there's cod here!" are more or less his last words, as he grabs a rod and flings it out. Immediately he's hooked up, 15lb cod soon flopping on the deck below. 30 guys on the boat, nobody's doing squat. That guy really knows his bottom fishing.
Regards,
Wolff

·
Registered
11 Posts
CAPT AL

Showing my age but here is one more Capt Al and mates fishing story. We were codfishing on the Yankee in early November, back in the early seventies. Al calls to the mate, Georgie, to grab his rod and put on a jig. Al thinks there are tuna cruising the wreck. Georgie borrows a customer's rod and on the first cast he is into a tuna. There is a full boat of customers so it quickly turns into a real fire drill but finally the tuna is gaffed and brought aboard. Nice fish, maybe 60 lbs or so. George gives the customer back his rod and starts to take the tuna away. Al says "Where do you think you are going? You borrowed the rod. The fish belongs to the customer." Not a peep from Georgie, just gave the customer the tuna. The fish was not allowed in the pool but the customer went away very happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.