NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Big Game Fishermen,

these days we discuss how big marlin can grow. Well, there are some reports about Marlin with over 2000lb. Legend or truth?

Bart miller tell us about a marlin with over 3000! Pounds (a quote of his report, published in the book "Legends of Big Game Fishing" from Mr. Mansell you can read in this thread.

Well, I have no reason to have a doubt about the truth of the story, but what do you think? Maybe any experiences with giant fish?

I´m looking forward to a great discussion.

Best wishes,
Uwe

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
IIRC, there have been several marlin over 3,000 pounds brough to the docks, all caught by commercial fishermen. One showed up int he Tokyo fish market and there was one or two caught in Africa, so they definately exist. I have spoken to several Kona based Capatins (besides Bart) that swear they have had tonners on, and I believe them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@stpaul: Not easy to estimate. But, it was a very big fish. Grander! Yes, sure!

@MakoMike: Very interesting. I also haven´t any reason not to believe the captains. Are there any pictures available from the fish on the Tokyo fish market?

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
milchner wrote:
@stpaul: Not easy to estimate. But, it was a very big fish. Grander! Yes, sure!

@MakoMike: Very interesting. I also haven´t any reason not to believe the captains. Are there any pictures available from the fish on the Tokyo fish market?

I do recall seeing some pictures. The fish had it's head cut off and still weighed more than 3,000 pounds! I'd have to go through about ten years worth of magazines to try and find the picture. Maybe a google search?

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
milchner wrote:
MakoMike wrote:
I do recall seeing some pictures. The fish had it's head cut off and still weighed more than 3,000 pounds! I'd have to go through about ten years worth of magazines to try and find the picture. Maybe a google search?

Hi Mike,

this link a friend gave me: http://www.hawaiifishingnews.com/records_d.cfm?ID=8

Best wishes,
uwe

That's not the same fish, that one is a mere 1,805 pounds

·
Registered
292 Posts
There was just a big article about this in Marlin Mag. They have pictures of Blue Marlin over 1800. Biggest caught on rod and reel I believe was 1805 but a few anglers fought it so it didn't qualify as a record

·
Registered
819 Posts
What was it that ate the Marlin though? He mentiones a shark...but "a" shark? Like as in one, becuase that must have been one **** big shark!!! Was it a White Shark, or a massive Mako? Or was it attacked by a bunch of sharks? Anyone know the full story on this?

·
Registered
287 Posts
http://www.marlinmag.com/species/blue-marlin/the-biggest-fish-i-ever-saw-50868.html

2500 MAX confirmed

Hard Evidence
An article in the Australian Outdoors magazine from May 1967 shows the badly decomposed body of a marlin (species unspecified) washed up near Port Stephens earlier that year. It was 14'6" long and with an estimated girth of nearly 8 feet, it was calculated to have weighed 1,760 pounds.

Peter Goadby's 1970 book "Big Fish and Blue Water" has a photograph of a bill from a blue, estimated at over 2,500 pounds, which was caught commercially off Moorea, in Tahiti. It dwarfs that of an 1,852 pounder which sits beside it. In his 1953 book "Fishing The Pacific" Kip Farrington refers to a 2,250-pound black (a suspiciously exact figure ? an imperial ton is 2,240-pounds) he had heard of being harpooned off Cabo Blanco, Peru.

The largest reported marlin weighed at Tokyo's Tsukiji fish market weighed a reputed 1,106 kg (2,436 lbs). Was that a blue or a black, a whole fish, or a gilled and gutted, "dressed" weight? The IGFA have a photograph of an estimated 2,500-pound blue caught by a commercial handline fisherman off Okinawa in Japan. It supposedly bottomed out a set of 1,000 kg (2,200 lb) scales. The Smithsonian Institution cites 2600 lbs as the maximum size for longline caught marlin of either species. There are several reported fish in the "supersize me" class caught by commercials, but again there's no absolute proof.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.