1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
What did the article really say?

twofinbluna wrote:
MPAs: bad for fishermen

"Pinched, squeezed and under pressure.

That's how Chip Terhune, chief of staff for Gov. Ted Kulongoski, described commercial fishermen on the North Coast."

Just sticking your head in the sand, does not cover the fact that there is a serious problem. Commercial trawlers have never caused damage to the aquaculture. That?s totally unrealistic.

The Daily Astorian wrote:
"What are we trying to fix?" asked commercial trawler Tom Morrison of Warrenton. "There's no problem right now. If you want to study them, study them."

"There are areas there that haven't been touched with any kind of gear," said Morrison. "For them to say we need more area to study seems like a back door approach to adding more restrictions."

Gimme a break. If there is anywhere productive a commercial fisherman will fish it. Look at our waters. Look at Montauk every single productive rocky area from 25 foot of water to the Cartwright is littered with lobster traps.

"You get studies, but you don't take any action on those studies," he said. "Ten years ago, our marina was full of commercial fishing boats. Most of them have moved to a different area where they can make money."

I see money

Mike Brown, plant manager for Pacific Seafoods in Warrenton, said the things that affect fishermen also affect processors. Ten years ago, his plant had twice the 85 full time employees it has now.

Yep, It?s all about money

LooneyTunes
Dave

This post edited by LooneyTunes 10:40 AM 01/20/2008

·
Registered
352 Posts
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aquaculture is the cultivation of aquatic organisms. Unlike fishing, aquaculture, also known as aquafarming, implies the cultivation of aquatic populations under controlled conditions. [1] Mariculture refers to aquaculture practiced in marine environments. Particular kinds of aquaculture include algaculture (the production of kelp/seaweed and other algae); fish farming; shrimp farming, shellfish farming, and the growing of cultured pearls.

·
Registered
579 Posts
OH yeah got me there

My bad I used the word aquaculture by accident instead of environment.

Any REASONABLE person would know that I meant environment.

So I don't expect you to know till I implicitly state it.

I am implicity stating environment.

There you feel better now,

OR

Do people want to keep playing childish games with symatics.

Why is it that when someone don't understand or a agree with a post in a thread they try to hijack it? You notice it didn't work in the subway cars thread. Everybody sees through the BS, smoke and mirrors

LooneyTunes
Dave

This post edited by MakoMike 09:41 AM 01/21/2008

·
Registered
579 Posts
MY POST REPOSTED WITH ONE WORD CORRECTED

twofinbluna wrote:
MPAs: bad for fishermen

"Pinched, squeezed and under pressure.

That's how Chip Terhune, chief of staff for Gov. Ted Kulongoski, described commercial fishermen on the North Coast."

Just sticking your head in the sand, does not cover the fact that there is a serious problem. Commercial trawlers have never caused damage to the ENVIRONMENT. That?s totally unrealistic.

"What are we trying to fix?" asked commercial trawler Tom Morrison of Warrenton. "There's no problem right now. If you want to study them, study them."

"There are areas there that haven't been touched with any kind of gear," said Morrison. "For them to say we need more area to study seems like a back door approach to adding more restrictions."

Gimme a break. If there is anywhere productive a commercial fisherman will fish it. Look at our waters. Look at Montauk every single productive rocky area from 25 foot of water to the Cartwright is littered with lobster traps.

"You get studies, but you don't take any action on those studies," he said. "Ten years ago, our marina was full of commercial fishing boats. Most of them have moved to a different area where they can make money."

I see money

Mike Brown, plant manager for Pacific Seafoods in Warrenton, said the things that affect fishermen also affect processors. Ten years ago, his plant had twice the 85 full time employees it has now.

LooneyTunes
Dave

This post edited by MakoMike 09:43 AM 01/21/2008

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
REVELATION !

LooneyTunes wrote:

Wow, thanks.
NO ONE ever realized that before.
Guess we got allot to learn still.

Of course,
its all about money for you too,
the recreational angler.

You equate/calculate your bag limit against the cost of taking a boat fishing or getting on a party/charter boat.
If the bag limit isn't large enough,
then the usual response is "its not worth it"
See "It?s all about money"

This post edited by MakoMike 09:45 AM 01/21/2008

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LooneyTunes wrote:

LT...what are you talking about. You have fishermen worried about reserves which will stop them from fishing in areas they currently fish and rely on for their livelihood. How could you possibly boil that down to a quote like the one above?

Are you in favor of MPAs? Sounds like it from your posts on this thread. If so, why? You must be one of those who thinks that recs will get out of this whole MPA thing unscathed (which I HIGHLY doubt will ever happen as most proponents of them want NO fishing in MPAs) and are willing to throw the commercial sector under the bus.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FISHERMEN-

Yep, Looney, for a commercial fishermen it is all about the money!

THAT's THEIR BUSINESS!

Here this one is for you....

Let the good times roll!

EC NEWELL MAN><

·
Registered
579 Posts
What happened to the Free exchange of ideas?

EC NEWELL MAN wrote:
Yep, Looney, for a commercial fishermen it is all about the money!

THAT's THEIR BUSINESS!

Here this one is for you....

Let the good times roll!

EC NEWELL MAN><

EC,

Let?s surprise comms for the second time. I do not support ?arbitrary? MPA?s for commercial fishermen. MPA is just another tool to stop fishing all together.

I enjoy reading your forum, In the Wheel House. I think that your knowledge of wreck fishing tog is second to none. I was one of the many that were disappointed when you stopped posting for a spell.

It really surprised me when you as a moderator, posted a ?dig? at me in your reply. It has been stated over and over again (by moderators) that the site welcomes all point of views.

Replies like that only serve to derail or kill a thread. If you notice the subway cars thread, everything was going nicely till someone hijacked the thread. Up until that point some good ideas were being exchanged. And after we reversed the hijack and got the thread back on topic, some great exchanges and information has been posted.

LooneyTunes
Dave

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
"Let?s surprise comms for the second time."

LooneyTunes wrote:
Let?s surprise comms for the second time.
Looney, you don't surprise a single commercial fisherman.
Despite what nonsense you might claim,
your heart and mind is in one place, that doesn't fool a single one-

"I think it's time to change the "Good Ole Days" of Commercial Fishing to the benefit of the ocean and it's resources." -LooneyTunes

"This is just more commercial fisherermens "I want my cake and I want to eat it too."- LooneyTunes

"Commercial interest doesn't pay for reefs in New York, Therefore, they are not entitled to fish them "-LooneyTunes

There are HUNDREDS more anti commercial fishing comments on this website from you,
but we got it, you're not anti-commercial fishing :rolleyes:

Please continue with your non biased well informed treatise on fisheries issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.