NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been finding 6inch long Mantis Shrimp inside the bass i've been catching in Long Island Sound............Odd creatures that they are....I did a little research and was intrigued to find how dangerous they can be........it seems there are two kinds ...."spearers" that are also refered to as "thumb splitters" can inflict a wound down to the bone.....and "smashers" that can give you an "elbow" at the impact of a 22 claiber bullet!
Also.......these very large shrimp like creatures are quite edible but be careful!

Southwest winds always.....Seaox

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I snagged a couple this past summer while fluking. They look real cool, but as you stated they deliver a nasty blow with their appendages. I bet they'd make some awesome tog bait.

TOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOGTOG

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

·
Registered
24,271 Posts
Mantis Shrimp

A general rule of thumb about nature seems to be that the more colorful something is, the more it wants to see you suffer. The mantis shrimp is no exception. Thankfully, because of their fairly small size, they can only really hurt humans via deep gashes to the skin. Were they any bigger than a few inches however, we could have a serious problem. The strike created by the snapping motion of these animal's claws is so powerful that the surrounding temperature can reach surface of the sun levels. They've also been known to break and shatter improperly reinforced aquariums just by striking the walls. They also have some of the most advanced eyes in the animal kingdom, so don't plan on running from one for too long when it backs you into a corner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.