NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted to run a party boat out of Manhattan. The work on the renovation of the West and East side parks and piers is coming along really well and there are several spots which would make great docking for a party boat. You would think that it would be a natural -- plenty of potential customers plus easy access to Jersey, Western Long Island and Long Island Sound. Well, if there are any skippers reading this board, I'd be interested to hear their thoughts. In particular, pier 40, now a parking garage on Houston Street and the West Side Highway is being voted on next week for future plans. Wouldn't it be great if a portion of it were devoted to a party boat landing?

·
Registered
826 Posts
I do not have much experience up in thos waters recently but i would be willing to sit down and go over some joint venture prospectives with anyone who would be interested in doing so.. if it wasnt good the boat can always move.. let me know..
'

Vinnie

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any skipper looking to set something like this up might consider contacting the Hudson River Park Conservancy. they might be able to do a matching grant or at least an easement for use of dock space. As for parking -- Pier 40 IS a parking garage and perhaps a portion of it in the new zoning could go for party boat parking. Just a thought . . .

·
Registered
166 Posts
that is a great idea....but Im sure it hasnt been done because of the cost involved with doing anything in NYC. Pier space $$$ probably a fortune. pier in sheepshead bay from Pks Dept is about $7k a full 12 months for those boats

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cost of pier space is an excellent argument for a business development grant or subsidy from the state. It's just the kind of "success story" a state representative would like to take credit for. There's also a lot of private money being thrown around for Parks development on the river, so who knows.

·
Banned
2,102 Posts
Are you guy's serious?

Have any of you looked at the "proposed" regs for 2008? This is going to be a make or break year for most if not all PB operations reguardless of port. How could any PB captain possibly consider the increased cost knowing he/she will not see a sufficient return of investment.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
DandJfish wrote:
Have any of you looked at the "proposed" regs for 2008? This is going to be a make or break year for most if not all PB operations reguardless of port. How could any PB captain possibly consider the increased cost knowing he/she will not see a sufficient return of investment.
You beat me to it, DandJfish.

Anybody who is considering entering the party boat business at this point in time is
I N S A N E.

·
Banned
2,102 Posts
Right on Sinkerbouncer.

I am afraid that not too many operations will survive the summer of 2008. On top of the proposed cuts the current increased fares caused by the fuel cost increases as well as the state of our economy will spell the end of many PB operations i am afraid. Sad very sad.

·
Registered
855 Posts
There used to be a PB that docked on the east side of manhattan around the 23rd street vicinity. But that was more than 30 years ago when it last sailed. The Palace used to be docked in Hoboken and it stopped on the west side below houston st to pick up and drop off passengers. I think it stopped running about 15 years ago.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Your right Seajay2 the Palace II stopped sailing in the mid 90s. She used to stop in Manhattan on the south side of pier 40 right by Houston St. I used to deckhand on her for a few years in the mid 80s. I had many great days & nights on her and also learn alot of great knowledge from her capts and customers . I really do miss that boat.

here's some infor from mels place.

The "PALACE II" from Jersey City, NJ at anchor in the spring of 1991 while flounder fishing in Raritan Bay, NJ. The "PALACE II" sailed from Hoboken, NJ for most of her fishing career, but Jersey City, NJ was her homeport during her last few years of fishing (and when this picture was taken.) Along with good fishing, the "PALACE II" used to host some wild card games while traveling to the grounds.

This post edited by MARK215 07:30 PM 01/25/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
There was a boat a couple of years ago running out of 23rd street. I'm sure if someone did a search here on Noreast tehy'd find posts about it, unless tehy were removed to idiots posting about eating dirty fish.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Hi Billy, dont know what you mean a couple of years ago, but I used live in that area, I moved in 1969, and I think they stopped before I moved. I moved to the bronx, I think they also moved there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My grandfather, Capt.Fred Schmahl, used to run the Sea Queen III
out of E. 23rd St. Manhattan where the marine aviation building is.
A photo of her can be seen on Mels-Place.com, click on "Mike's
Maritime Memorabilia" and she is on page 20 under "More Party
Boats". Any fellow Noreasters ever sail with Capt.Fred? What a
wild bunch of regulars!! Lots of fun back in those days.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.