NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone elses mako magnet STB? Mine did - it's one of my winter projects on the checklist.

Mine is installed inside of my aluminum engine bracket glued down with 5200 (after many attempts it was the only thing that kept it secured)..

It worked well for some time but now it's now only coming on intermittantly; sometimes I open the deck hatch to the bracket and I can get it going by banging on it with a gaff handle, other times it works without issue, and sometimes no matter what it won't kick on.

I think the warranty is only a year on these things.. fortunately the company is fairly local and I'm thinking of trying to get a repair, refurb, or pro-rated exchange.. worst scenario I'll try and repair it myself first (ie cut a hole in it and see what is wrong in there).

Before I give this a shot though I figured I'd see if anyone else has had issues and/or knows who I could contact or might have a contact they could ping on it... Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
826 Posts
I dont know much...

But i have never heard of them working inside the hull. They are meant to be over the side and in the water... do not know if this has something to do with it or if you would maybe check the connections on the terminals that might be a problem!!

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
Sportfishingusa wrote:
But i have never heard of them working inside the hull. They are meant to be over the side and in the water...
They are also designed to be used inside the hull.

Leaky, I'm going to give them a shout about a group buy. We had over 30 people lined up last summer but they were too busy then, and asked I contact them again in the winter. Let me see what we can do.

MakoMatt

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
I just got off the phone with Mrs MakoMagnet, they are leaving on a cruise in a couple of days and she wants me to call her back the 1st. week in February, which I will do.

MakoMatt

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sportfishingusa wrote:
But i have never heard of them working inside the hull. They are meant to be over the side and in the water... do not know if this has something to do with it or if you would maybe check the connections on the terminals that might be a problem!!

The company provides instructions for installation inside of the hull, which I followed; they are intentended for this type of install and it's the only method for use when trolling.

The connections are far away from the magnet and are secured; tapping the magnet resolves the issue so without a doubt it's a problem internal to the magnet.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Do they produce for trolling?

Has anyone ever done a ratio on these like trolling a week with one and week without or anything liek that to feel out if they really do produce fish on the troll?

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gusto45 wrote:
must be nice to be able to repeatedly not take calls for orders. Wish I was that busy. I am interested in getting one if you get a discount rate.

gusto - the deal we get is a special thing; granted 30 magnets is a wholesale deal IMHO and should be a wholesale rate, they are doing us a favor by selling directly and not referring us to a distributor.

I believe last time when we did this deal it was brought up that some distributor actually got PO'd about it and quit selling the product line.

We got a pretty decent deal as well; $200 vs the $350 you see them for retail.

Jon

·
Registered
428 Posts
well like I said I would be interested if the opportunity comes again. I have heard good things and some guys swear by it. I would mount it to the hull also. got enough stuff on the deck and hanging over the side. Only used one once and we got second in the tournament, worth a try!

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Jon,
next installation I would use something a little less permanent than 5200. 4200 might be a better choice.
Good luck with it.
paulie

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I have had two mako magnet repairs. The first problem was most likely due to my install. The second was just on the blind. Both times they fixed it at N/C with very fast turn around time.
There is a solvent made which will dissolve the 5200 adhesive. It is made by 3M. However make sure that it does not dissolve the adhesive which holds the aluminum base ring to the PVC Cap. If that seal is broken then you are on your own. Also heat will help in the process.
I know that hull mounting is acceptable by the company, but I think the killy cart house is the best. When you can see the magnet you can also see how the sharks react and gain a little more knowledge about their habits.

·
Registered
452 Posts
had the exact thingf happen to mine,slowly bgan to stop working,mine was three years old,i actually took it apart to seewhat was wrong,after its last beating with a sinker and it still didnt work,well found out,they eventually leak from the seal where the power cord,and every thing inside was corroded from water........if you guys do a group buy ill take 2 as i wont go sharking with out it,kind of like fogetting the chum on the dock

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
I'll start a thread for another group buy in the next day or so. They want me to call them the 1st week in February so hopefully by then we would have some numbers to get a good deal again.

MakoMatt

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
B.Attitude wrote:
Jon,
next installation I would use something a little less permanent than 5200. 4200 might be a better choice.
Good luck with it.
paulie

I'm honestly not sure which I used but I was pretty frustrated after it kept popping loose on me. Initially I used 2 part epoxy and that didn't even hold; I attempted a few different permanent strength adheasives with the same result and finally I said F-it and tried the 3M..

What makes it so difficult is the aluminum to aluminum bond; adheasives do not bond well to bare metal.

Jon

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
captainlarry84 wrote:

I know that hull mounting is acceptable by the company, but I think the killy cart house is the best. When you can see the magnet you can also see how the sharks react and gain a little more knowledge about their habits.

Being in the hollow metal engine bracket it seems to work well; it is not very thick compared to the hull itself and the aluminum transmits the sound nicely. Routinely sharks will swim up and poke around the bracket in plain view.

For sure it's convenient; with it permanently wired on a switch there is no setup.

Jon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.