NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a problem I've noticed seems to becoming more frequent,especially when it involves party and charter boats.Posting a report is supposed to give helpful advice on location,bait/lure and technique.I dont want your numbers but will it kill you to give something as simple and generic as depth.
There's a few examples today(5/12) such as Bruce hitting stripers and fluke,no mention of location,depth,bait,lures, trolling etc.,its just an ad for the Rainbow Runner. Same thing with merebagof shellscharters,limits on seabass but no mention of where,bait,wreck,depth,nothing.Not even a 100 mile radius. I was under the impression taht these reports were supposed to be of use for feeding patterns,migration etc,not advertisements for charters or just outright bragging,otherwise the reports are as useless as the other mags. I dont personally care how big Soon Yan Phangs fish was,but It'd be informative to know on what rig.

I think it might be a good idea to have a form with required fields of information and then a comments area.If someone doesnt want to give that info,I'm cool with that but at least i dont waste my time.

Let's hear what others think or maybe I'm way off base.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I AGREE!!!!!!

The only one who seems to give decent reports is the Capt from the Shini**** star.I have even hailed him on the radio for some reports and he always comes back with a report. To bad some of the other Party boats and charters don't do the same. I had some argument with a Capr out of Montauk when I first went out there. I asked for a location of the Frisbees and I got a comeback That the tourist where in. One guy told him that if it was not for the tourist you would still be on welfare. That shut him up in a hurry.
You are right on the money with locations and conditions. With the cost of running a boat today all info is helpfull. I am not afraid to share info, I would like to help out but some guys are so secritive you have to think it is Fort Knox they are guarding.

Tight lines always with SW winds.

Bill

·
Registered
60 Posts
i think when you go out and catch nothing you should not make a report
its a waste of space and time
to read them. most of the reports i
read are
'went out today nice day but i didnt
catch nada) what kind of report is this?
who cares gvisko

·
Registered
300 Posts
In order to solve this problem about fishing reports The Editor or website manager of Noreast would have to Impliment a Log type program where you are asked a series of questions as you enter your report!
It would be easier & painless.
For example:
General fishing Location?
Type of Fish?
Fish length? actual or estimate?
Fish weight? " "
Bait used? Natural or artificial?
Fished from ? Boat or shore?
Tide?
Started fishing?
stopped fishing?
WX?
winds?
Comments?
If anyone has ever gone into the personnal fishing log on this website
you can see what I'm talkin about.
Is there anyway to install that type of format in the posted reports???

Local #1049

·
Registered
133 Posts
gvisko

gvisko...it is good to read reports on when the fish are not biting too... if people only posted when they caught fish then a lot of people would be going out wasting their time. It is good to know when the fish are biting and when they aren't.

matt

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Bad Reports...

I don't feel that its a waste of time when someone reports that they caught nothing today in a certain location.I feel that is just important as someone telling you that they did catch fish.It may save you a long ride,wasted money and time with a report like this.It doesn't tell you where to go but it tells you where not to go.
paulie

·
Registered
60 Posts
just because a person says he did not catch a fish does not mean the fish arent there . how many times you catch fish in youre boat and the guy next to you catchs nothing? i would never rely on someone who says he caught nada to skip a spot if he tells you he caught a fish there i would say that was a plus
a non fishing report is a waste of space
and time gvisko

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
If a party or charter boat said they took fish on wreck XYZ you can bet the next day there would be a swarm of boats on that wreck. ;)

A little more info is helpful (rigs or lures, bait, technique etc) but I don't think you can force it out of people with a form. At best you'll get generalities from many, or no reports at all from others.

OTOH, it has also been noted in these forums that some people feel certain people post too much info in their reports! :D

Catch-22

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
B.attidude,agreed. its good to know when something doesn't work as well as when it does. For example,I tried the 60 ft wrecks and hit nothing,then the 80 ft wrecks I hit like crazy. I dont need to know your exact wreck but the depth will work from the Bight to Montauk.

Gama,its fine to want to know what boat or port to fish out of,but will it kill ya to give a little more info for crimps sake?

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
bad reports

Gvisko,
your right,you can catch fish when the boat next to you is doing nothing,but if a whole bunch of guys are telling you that the fleet in 35 ft of water is catching nothing but skates or robins I know the next day I will pass up 35 ft of water and look elsewhere.Also,by now you should have idea from the regulars on this site of who catches regulally and who doesn't,you should know who to listen to.
paulie

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
bad reports

I like to see bad reports for a few reasons. One being it might save me a trip or a sick day for that matter. If i read 3 reports and no one is doing much then i save my precious sick day when the bight picks up. Another good reason for bad reports is that it validates the post of that fisherman. Even the sharpies get skunked. there are some people out there that are full of s####. every post they are slaughtering the fish. I have even been told they won the pool when i was one the same boat and new it wasnt true.So keep the bad and good posts comming it is all valuable info to me and many other hard working anglers.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
A fishing report that tells of no fish being caught is a good report.
Especially when its posted by someone who's posted before & you know is a decent Angler.
After reading a few bad reports on bass fishing lets say for an example then you might decide to target another species or mow the lawn.
Alan

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Tough call

I find the reports on this site to be the best I have come across. but I know what Guppy is refering to. It is annoying when someone posts a report that gives you no info besides how well the angler did. Also it is true that some party boats and charters don't give enough helpful info and hey since they are basically advertising for free they should post info like anyone else.
There are circumstances where you can't blame a guy for not wanting to give up info for fear of over crowding the spot ....I have no problem with that.In these cases it is probably better not to post at all.
on the other side of the coin it does irk me when a guy posts about a spot that is particularly vulnerable to overcrowding.......hey it just ruins it for those out there losing sleep and earning the good time.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Reports do NOTHING but tell you where the fish WERE or were not and I do not consider either one to be a reason to cxl or plan a fishing trip. As for those who post how big and how many fish they caught with no other info they are just loosers who need to try and boost thier own ego.
Personaly I don't think you should be post specific spots on the internet , it just over crowds and wrecks spots, location should be ie South Shore east of jones or west of jones something vauge like that

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Kevin, its all about supporting the site & having fun

I hardly ever give my excact spot but allways tell the truth about the action & species caught and number of fish caught ect..
This site offers the local Angler mucho info. and a great discussion board so its the least we can do to support it, Alan

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Reports

Man, times have changed-I've been at this fishing game for over 45 years and its sad to see whats happened to the fraternity of fishermen(and women).It wasn't that long ago when anyone would tell all whether it be tackle setup ,fishing technique, or yes even a hot spot to a fellow angler.We all felt a close brotherhood in the quest for that trophy fish or just the plain joy of the outdoors.Now it appears to be dog eat dog for some table scraps.I know the fisheries are depleting and there are many more people on the waters but if we stick together as brothers with the same addiction to fishing we will all win even if to be better human beings

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
lkylindy-

I agree but consider that we now live in an era when popular party boat captains throw sinkers and piss on your boat if you're anchored over their favorite wreck. It's a time when some anglers take home buckets of ten inch blackfish on a daily basis. Thereb are wild, tire-slashing crowds who love to start trouble and/or be destructive after they've had a little to much to drink. It's a time when you can't turn your back for two seconds at a public pier without worrying that your rod & reel might be stolen.

All of this in a time when the number of vessels on the water has increased substantially. In two weeks is memorial day weekend. If you are not convinced that the fishing community has partially evolved to include too many undesirable anglers, just take a cruise or a drive to your favorite "honey hole" that weekend or go fishing on your favorite partyboat.

Take the boat to the Sore Thumb, Sand City, Reynold's Channel, or Great Eastern. Visit your favorite location around Shelter Island, Sloop Channel, Execution Lighthouse, or Shinne**** Inlet. Take a drive to Magnolia, Jones or Captree Piers. Fish shoulder to shoulder at Rockaway Jetty, the Shinne**** Canal, or under the Montauk lighthouse.

Spend an entire day at your favorite location or on your favorite party boat and compare the people there to those who you remember back when you started fishing decades ago. Then, ask yourself; do I really want to share my other hot spots with these people? You know the spots; the secret, peaceful locations that very few other anglers know exist!

Sorry if I sound negative, but there was a time when I was more trusting and felt the same way as you -that I should share everything with every other angler in hopes that they will do the same and we could all enjoy our sport so much more.

I was dumb enough to share my exact flounder location, technique and choice bait. A week later, there were over a dozen boats squeezed into a tiny spot. They were so close to each other that when the wind would blow their boats would swing into each other. They used invasive methods to attract fish. -they brought long pipes and "pounded" every inch of the mud to attract flounder. They threw sacks of raw corn and bushels of mussel shells in the water. They sometimes fished two rods per angler or three or more hooks per rod. Some boats used two or more chum pots. Their empty beer/soda cans, old fishing line, sandwich wrappers, and even a few articles of clothing all seemed to find their way into the water on a daily basis. Some were keeping fish that were clearly too short. Others were keeping way over their legal limit. Some of the released fish floated belly-up because they were mishandled. Some larger fish were lost at boatside with hook and sinker still attached because they were not netted.

My favorite flounder hole would normally yield a few dozen two-pounders or more each season and at least one or two three-to-four pound class fish every April. Now it is like the dead sea. But even though it is ruined, it is still frequently fished because anglers still hear that it is a good spot.

Good luck trying to change our opinions. I still love to share info. Many anglers here will tell you that I often email them specifics all the time. I just lost confidence in the general public.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I check all reports here and then check with local bait shop, But you have to put your time in to catch fish. I also agree with you about who is doing the reporting. Some guys don't want to share. There is a charter boat where I fish (sound charters) and the captain will just about give you his numbers, people think he is full of it.So hit the water and keep all reports coming.
TIGHT LINES and GOOD FISHING
Bob
p.s please turn off the fan the wind is killing me

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Boy - we've really managed to beat this topic to death...........

Fliesthatcatch - still interested in your trolling motor - just haven't had the chance to come over & take a look at it.

Still avialable I assume? How about next weekend (5/25 - 5/27)? Tried to send you a Private Message via the site - failed.

Also - beginning to lean toward the Doctor's view - for many of the same reasons.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.