NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Any bait I use usually consists of tossing out a hook with a whole squid or spearing on it and letting it drift right under something (buoy,debris, pot)If they are feeding they should hit it right away. Sometimes just toss spearing out and get them into a feeding mode. I'm far from a pro at catching them but have been fortunate enough to hook up with quite a few this year, also try live killies. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Rooster,

The mahi mahi's that manage to float up here with the gulf stream each summer are not elusive at all. As a matter of fact, most are so hungry that they are more than willing to take any appealing bait or lure that is thrown their way. This weekend in the canyon we had about eight of them on whole butterfish in the middle of the night that we were using to target tuna. Over the summer I've also had great success with leftover fluke bait (squid & spearing). I've also caught them on the same lures that we use for small bluefish (surface poppers, bombers, small rebels, 007 diamond jigs, etc...). The trick is to find the fish hiding under the weedlines or other floating debris. Once you find them, they practically hook themselves.

Also, when you have one hooked, don't boat it right away. If you keep it hooked near the boat, the other mahi's in the area will hurry over to your boat to see what the hooked mahi is eating. You have an excellent opportunity to hook others this way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.