NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Crazy-Alberto have you heard of any mackerel good reports on the west end yet ? this time last year they were on 17 already...

tight lines...Anthony

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Anthony,

You are correct, this time last year there were scattered reports along 17. Unfortunately not many macks reports yet... because the water is still in the warm (51*-53*) side.

With the cold fronts we are having, I?ll give the next two weeks or so...the mackerel should be in.

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Alberto,
Any update on the Mackerel? Have they arrived in numbers yet? I had a great time last year hauling'em in. Love fishing in the cold. I'd like to do it again. Do you know if any of the Sheepshead boats are targeting them?

-Alex

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello fellow Mackerel fishers...

This is to inform you that the MACKERELS ARE IN!

I received several reliable sources that the Freeport and Sheepshead Bay boats are targeting them with great success!!! ;)

Good luck, dress warm and don't forget your diamond / tube jigs.

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Hey Al,

While I was out tog'n near 17 on saturday a few mackeral were caught. Not many, but a few. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Gottog wrote:
While I was out tog'n near 17 on saturday a few mackeral were caught. Not many, but a few. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Thanks for the confirmation Gottog. :)
Just wondering... For those who caught the few mackerel... did they jig (tubes) with diamond jigs -or- were the macks caught on crab rigs (bi-catch)?

As you know... if you were anchored (togging) and caught macks... the mack schools must have been really thick! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Al, The Macks were caught while anchored up by some anglers fishing for ling...so yes, a by-catch. I was too busy trying to get the tog on my line to pay much attention.;)

got tog?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Fished out at 17 Fathoms and the mackeral and herring were there. I concentrated on blackfish while a few anglers jigged up quite a few mackeral. Some nice ones too. Saw a bunch of porpoises out there...was beautiful with the snow.

got tog?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.