NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK GUYS...THERES A HUGE SALE ON LURES AT THE SPORTS AUTHORITY...GIVE OUT SOME OF THOSE SECRETS..PLEASE HELP ME LEARN MORE ABOUT LURES BC I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM..WHAT WORKS? WHAT ARE GOOD FOR USING ON THE YAK? WHICH ONES DO U TROLL? WHICH ONES DO YOU CAST OUT? HOW DO U RIG THEM UP?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey Chris...I think that will do fine with some basic rubber shad bodies and bucktails to start with, get some 3/8 and 1/2 oz jigheads for the shads. Get some tins for the blues and ofcouse some poppers. Do yourself and favor nd crush the barbs down on the hooks of the plugs, will make things much easier for releasing fish. I ove to troll and green shad on a 3/8 jighead. Hopefully we can hook up and fish and I can show some of the lures and rigging of them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
SA often has some great buys on lures in the cheapo bins however most of it is junk. There isn't any way that we can educate you about lures in a few minutes online so that you make wise decisions. Unfortunately only experience is going to help. Can one of yoiur buddies, who fishes with lures, go with you to SA? That would be a solution. I just don't want to see you wasting your money on a bunch of junk.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Lure Selection

Magilla, the fish don't care if you are fishing from a boat,kayak or shoreline, the same lures work for most situations.
You need a small assorment of lures:
Metals - hopkins and some a-27 jigs,and fluke-balls, bait tails.
Bucktails- 1-2 oz white and yellow, don't forget the pork rind.
Swimmers- bomber long-A, yozuri swimmers
Poppers- superstrike, atom, or yozuri- 1.5 oz
Softlures- 1-2 oz j1g head with soft body shad.
That is the basic list, it will cover 96% of the situations you will fish.
You can always add more lures to fill out your collection.
On Staten Island I would try Michaels bait & tackle or Biggies on Page ave, they have a good selection and can help you with choosing as well.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jon, just got my first experience with the yozuri wallet killers..i snapped off a hydro popper that cost me 11.99 and spent the next 20 mins in the rain snagging it with a bunker snagger..thank god i got that sucker back!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.