NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have these motors looked at a boat a 1990 with these engines in them low hours around 600 1990 volvo penta 41 turbos wondering if they are good solid motors or not worth the time

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a pair of Volvo Tamd 41a in my boat. I owned the boat for the last seven years and they run fine. They do have a tendency to smoke more than lets say Yanmar. But easy to work on. Parts could be pricey. If you have any Questions PM me.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
reeladdiction wrote:
anyone have these motors looked at a boat a 1990 with these engines in them low hours around 600 1990 volvo penta 41 turbos wondering if they are good solid motors or not worth the time

your looking at another boat you didnt even use the one you have now last season

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
I used to fish with a guy who had TAMD40s in a phoenix 29, nothing but troubles. He was constantly working on those engines and most of the time we wound up using my boat. From what I have heard the TAMD41s aren't any better. Take it FWIW.

·
Registered
10 Posts
TAMD41 series are good motors and offer good reliability IF they are propped correctly and the have not been abused. IIRC WOT under load is 3300-3400 RPM. If they have 600 hours over propped I would not touch them. If they are at the low end of the reasonable power for the hull beware as if they have been run long hours at 90-100% of full power they are abused. With the TAMD41A I would disconnect the exhaust flap solenoid and wire the flaps securely in the open position. Beginning with the B motors they did away with the flaps which were an attempt to reduce smoke at start up and did not work well. I have seen a couple of A motor installs where the solenoid had failed or was improperly adjusted and the flaps were stuck in a partially closed position. Also at that vintage they should have had the intercoolers gone through. Look for receipts to show that has been done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.