NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have some questions. Why would I want to use a loop to loop connection as opposed to a direct splice connection like a Chinese handcuff??? I had John at Trophy spool my Torsa 30 with 80 pound JB and to that I use some of Basil's 25' loop to loop leaders. He did a great job.

I now have a Penn 30VSX and would like to spool that with some spectra, but I'm thinking to go with 80 JB again, maybe Cortland, and then splice in say 100 yards of mono. I don't see the benefit in the short loop to loop leaders. I am not going to be changing them just cutting them back as needed when the line gets frayed, etc.

What benefit am I getting with the loop to loop, except easier to change leaders which I do foresee doing very often??

MakoMatt

·
Registered
826 Posts
The best thing about loop to loop is that it is a full line with no cuts!!

These are no tag ends in the loop to loop at all plus there is no kind of kinking or pressure on a small part of the line along with no friction from pulling together knots!!!

The loop is also like you said matt very easy to interchange.. i have been using the loop to loop for a while and it is just so much easier and stronger plus it runs thru the guides with complete ease.

If you can not type a perfect uni or a albright or anything you are better off because sometimes small knots can get stuck or fray under pressure going back and forth thrue rollers!

Even if you use regular carbon guides!

The loop will go thru with ease.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not talking about a loop-to-loop vs. a knot, I am asking about a loop-to-loop vs a direct splice. Other then being easier to change the leader, is there any other reason???

MakoMatt

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I would think the only advantage is the fact that you can change with the loop to loop easily and not with the chinese finger. John did a 30 SW for me and I got 500 yds of 130 with a 50 yard 100lb. top shot. There is also room to spare because I am going to use this setup for shark/tuna troll and shark drift. With the loop to loop I can now swap out that 100 lb topshot with a larger (say 400lb.) mono shot or even a cable wind on for the shark drift.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I am going to change to the Chinese finger on the the Torsa, and go with the same on the new 30VSX. I have no desire to change the leader except as necessary when worn and using 75-100 yards of a mono topshot it will last much longer then these 25' topshots I have been using with the loop-to-loop.

MakoMatt

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Matt,
The only difference I can see is the ease of replacing the topshot or leader. I still have the chinese finger connection on my big guns, but they don't see much use anymore. :mad: On my chunking rods I went with the loop to loop top make it easier to change leaders on those trips when you have to keep going lighter to find something that works.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike, I can understand ease of changing, and the need to go lighter lines to get a bite, but why not just go with a barrel and Fluro??? Unless you use a Fluro loop-to-loop leader and I can see that getting very expensive.

MakoMatt

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
MakoMatt wrote:
Mike, I can understand ease of changing, and the need to go lighter lines to get a bite, but why not just go with a barrel and Fluro??? Unless you use a Fluro loop-to-loop leader and I can see that getting very expensive.

MakoMatt

Yeah, I do have various test of fluro leaders on loop to loops. Its doesn't cost more to keep the fluros at the ready that way, the expensive part is buying the fluro, not making the loops.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Probably both but not sure yet,... how far you go with it depends on the fit I think. I'm going to bring it over to John at Trophy or Mark at Bay Park, they are both real good with this stuff.

MakoMatt

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yeah i had a conversation with john one night for about 1 1/2 hours!! what a good freakin guy man!!

Wish i was closer and had some of these guys by me.. i got nutting but un happy grumpy old men who dont care about anything or anyone.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
why loop to loop

On my chunking rigs I spool with hollow spectra. Over that I have 100 yards of mono. These are connected loop to loop. At the end of the mono is a swivle and a flouro leader. The leader gets changed every fish. The mono gets cut back as needed. There have been times when a tangle (yup, party boat) has cuased me to loose most of the mono topshot. No worries mon!
I just pull out a another top shot with a preattached loop and I'm back to fishing in only a minute or two. If I had to redo the splice it would take me MUCH longer to get back in the water:mad:.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
makoexpress wrote:
I would think the only advantage is the fact that you can change with the loop to loop easily and not with the chinese finger. John did a 30 SW for me and I got 500 yds of 130 with a 50 yard 100lb. top shot. There is also room to spare because I am going to use this setup for shark/tuna troll and shark drift. With the loop to loop I can now swap out that 100 lb topshot with a larger (say 400lb.) mono shot or even a cable wind on for the shark drift.

DaveB wrote:
On my chunking rigs I spool with hollow spectra. Over that I have 100 yards of mono. These are connected loop to loop. At the end of the mono is a swivle and a flouro leader. The leader gets changed every fish. The mono gets cut back as needed. There have been times when a tangle (yup, party boat) has cuased me to loose most of the mono topshot. No worries mon!
I just pull out a another top shot with a preattached loop and I'm back to fishing in only a minute or two. If I had to redo the splice it would take me MUCH longer to get back in the water:mad:.

BINGO! Give these guys a prize!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had all my spectra reels set up with handcuff type top shots last season. I was suprised at how quickly they got cut back and needed replacing. On my 30VSW's I paid $27 for the top shot rigged for me at the tackle store (I am not a do it yourselfer). I had to drop the reels off and would get them back a day or 2 later depending on how busy they were. I've since found I can by the same length/weight top shot from Basil for $22 and can change it out myself on the water.

So for me its loop to loop from now on. Less expensive, easier to put new ones on, ready spares, and the ability to swap out if you want.

This post edited by carlynewlondon 08:06 PM 01/23/2008

·
Registered
12,042 Posts
Mike, I use the finger method also. 200# Cortland Dacron and either 200# or 300# 100 yd. Mono. top shot. just roughed up with 50 grit paper for 2 fathoms, Round over the nose and slip it up. I also serve on both ends and every 3 ft. Have had many run offs that took me down to dacron and never a problem.

Don

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
MakoMatt wrote:
I think I am going to change to the Chinese finger on the the Torsa, and go with the same on the new 30VSX. I have no desire to change the leader except as necessary when worn and using 75-100 yards of a mono topshot it will last much longer then these 25' topshots I have been using with the loop-to-loop.

MakoMatt

Why are you thinking of changing the torsa to a splice? Are you afraid it isn't as strong because it has proved to be as strong if not stronger. I use all loop to loop for the ease of it, remember you can make your own loop to loop top shots if you want. Just make sure you buy the right glue for any splice you put in JB.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.