NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
483 Posts
been on the royal star...

3 times. excellent boat. the captains and crew are very passionate about catching fish, particularly big ones. priced just a bit higher than the other boats, but you get a limited load (24 passengers as opposed to 28-32 for similar-sized boats), incredible crew (excellent personal and teaching skills) and excellent galley (dave kennedy is a professionally trained chef). it's like fishing camp, except that the counselors never tell you "lights out" and go to sleep. fish, eat, sleep all you want, anytime you want. my last trip i took a 77# YFT on a live sardine - 60# outfit.

Attachments

· Registered
483 Posts
your options at the dock after each trip are:
-have it sliced down and vacuum sealed, about .50/lb. by mario's seafood or famous seafood, then ship it home.
-donate your catch at $2/lb. tax writeoff to a local food charity.(mario's or famous will write it up and handle it for you).
-exchange your fresh fish for canned albacore (6:1 exchange).

· Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
crag,
Thanks for sharing the information and pictures. They are great !! Keep them coming if you have any more. My boys are a little young, but I would love to take them on a trip like that one day.

Capt. H

· Registered
483 Posts
andrew,
please disregard the msg i sent you.
figure about $200-250/day for a long range trip; this includes all your meals (5/day, nobody EVER goes hungry). coming from the east coast it's not worth anything less than a 5 dayer.

the fish vary with the season. early summer you get smaller-sized albacore and yellowtail. by mid-summer, dorado, school bluefin arrive and the albies get bigger. by sept., the bigger bluefin and some yellowfin get in. the longer (8-10 day) fall trips go pretty far south and get into wahoo and cow yellowfin. it varies, some years are quite different, but that's the general pattern.

on an 8-day trip you'll generally fish about 5 days, unless the fish are very close to SD or very far away south. the trip to alijos rocks is about a day and a half.

other than tuna, lotsa yellowtail and a few grouper, black and white seabass, cabrilla, an occasional striped marlin. at night, it's lotsa fun breaking out a freshwater bass outfit and catch small yellowtail and sierra mackeral; even making bait, like squid and salami mackeral are fun.

the picture is of the rail of the royal star backing into the slip on the trip just prior to my 8 dayer, three years ago. the biggest fish are close to 300#, the smaller fish are around 100#.

Attachments

· Registered
483 Posts
it's cow time!!!

this is also from the prior trip. the fellow in the bibs is the captain; just for scale, he's about 6'4" (only). the cow YFT measured at 297#. typically, these cow fish were taken on a large squid fished from a kite.

(This post edited by crag on 02/24/2003)

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.