NorEast Fishing Forum banner

long leaders & knots

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  maniac 
#1 ·
I've been hearing different advice about leaders and their use in certain applications. I use a 10' St. Croix w/ a Shimano Sedona 6000 spinning reel spooled with either 15 or 20 lb. test (I forget the brand- a Japanese name).

I was using a 30# mono leader about 4' long via blood knot, but when I cast, the knot tended to hit the tip guide and slow down. Would a longer leader help this when casting? I read someone using 10'. Also, the knot picked up a lot of grass & etc. I thought using a leader would help against big run-offs. I discarded the leader after a well-known B&T shop owner told me I was fine w/o a leader w/my set up.

What are you guys using out there in similar set ups? I'm guessing PP or Fireline with what kind of knots?

What are the best knots for tying leaders, bait rigs, jigs and lures? I can tie the Palomar, improved clinch (which Tiderunner & Wetzel advise against when using PP), and a mono loop for lures. Sorry for the verbosity.

#4 ·
Stop tying directly to the line.

On what knots I use.With every line comes a different knot,But I prefere the Palomar.As to my leader size.All depends where I am fishing,If I'm on a rock in tauk,its at least 48"(Flouro).It all depends my freind.
You must know go out & buy 60# barrel swivels.Stop casting knots through your guides you will damage them.Any little thing will cause wear on your guides,it might not look like it but it is,believe me.

#5 ·
slnaja,

When I started surf casting a year ago, I didn't like having a lot of line off of the end of my tip. So I tied direct also and reeled the knot into the first guide. With Fireline, I use an Albright Special with the braid doubled. With Power Pro, I will use the same knot or a Uni-to-Uni. I think the Albright is stronger, but it catches on the guide a little more. You can also tie a locking knot after the Albright. They show you how in the Power Pro packaging.

When I would cast with the tied on leaders, I would only reel the knot in past the tip, not the next guide down or else it would snag on itself.

Gradually I have become more comfortable casting the long leaders off the tip and now I use a swivel, 50 or 80 pound Spro's with a three to four foot flouro leader. I attach the swivel to the braid, by making a loop with a Spider Hitch and then use an Offshore Swivel knot to attach the swivel. To attach the Flouro, 20 or 40 # depending on rod I am using, I use an Improved Clinch knot to the swivel, and a loop knot to attach the snap.

The loop knot is made by starting an overhand knot than placing the tag end through the snap. Now run the tag end back through the overhand knot the same way it came from. Wrap the line around the standing line twice and return it through the overhand knot again. It is kind of like a bolon with a few variations. I am sure this has a name but I don't know it.

It sounds like a lot of knots, but they are each fairly easy and fast to tie on.

If I was using 20 pound mono, I wouldn't bother with a leader unless I was fishing around rocks or off a jetty. But like I said, I have only been at this a little over a year now, so you may want to follow the advice of others.

#6 ·
Thanks for your advice jpfsurf & doughboy. I do have some swivel and I will use them w/ a 3-4 ft. leader if indeed my line is 15#, and I'll skip it if it's 20.

I know the loop knot, the others I'll research on the web. Thanks guys.

Slnaja

#7 ·
for what its worth.

swivel definately at the top of the leader between fireline and leader using palomar (cant beat it). This keeps the Hardware away from the beast. Length of leader largely dependent on casting method but assuming your not pendulum casting from land than I have to assume a reasonably short leader of about 30-40 inches. shorter will cast longer. Terminal end is debateable but I have caught more fish on direct tie on to lure using correct knot that allows for lure swing than I have with various clips at that end. If I use a clip I DO NOT add another barrel swivel. My belief is one is enough and less hardware means fewer spooked fish. The opposite POV is that in the heat of things you want to be able to quick change lures and not continually shorten the leader each time you clip and tie on a new lure.

#8 ·
Johnies tackle shop in montauk sells some nice mono leaders 60 lb about eight and twelve inches long if your out that way, they cost only seventy cents apiece, and eighty cents. they are enough to keep the blues from chopping them and short enough to get a great cast off. They have a barrel swivel and a snap allready on them.Works fine for me.Doesn't seem to make the fish shy at all to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.