NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
What I did to improve my casts was taking a 3oz. sinker, using a swivel snap. Went down to my local high school and just practiced casting, into the wind, against, etc.

Just practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
One thing to keep in mind: I always see guys trying to cast their bait or lures out to God knows where. Funny... I see most of the people here in Long Beach catching the fish no more than 20 yds off the beach. I've seen fish caught in 2 ft of water in the wash. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That is soooo true. And most guys dont realize it!! I cant tell you how many times I have casted parallel to the beach and hooked up!!
People forget where the bait stays... and thats usually right in the wash, or just past.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try to ordering a video long distance casting and surf fishing by Ron Arra.
Ron has written several books, considered the bibles, on long distance casting.
I have the video and its great but I caught my first striper in the breaking water about 4 feet from shore,,,,, but who knows how long he was following my lure? :)... Hope this helps

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
Mike Laptew (the guy who made "Striper Magic" and "Stripers in Paradise") also made that video "Surf Fishing and Distance Casting with Ron Arra). It's a very good video.

Going to be getting some in this week. I'll have them up on my site shortly.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Folks,
Although at times the bass are close to shore? there are equal times when you wished you could reach at a distanced working fish!

Also, if you are going to practice? I strongly recommend that you have your basics down first. Mind you, this is not the ordinary casting? it?s Power Casting and if you are doing it worng? you could hurt yourself! Therefore, the basics, fundamentals of powercasting are critical!

Just because Mike Laptew and Ron Arra are good buddies of mine ? I am not promoting for their benefits ? I am promoting for your safety! Get the video and the new book!

It?s great read, incredibly informative and smart!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
826 Posts
Power casting techniques can be dangerous if you're fishing in crowded conditions. Even Ron doesn't wind up with the pendulum when he's throwing big plugs at breaking fish in the Canal, as very seldom do you find yourself with a lot of elbow room.

One thing any angler can do to gain a few yards is learn how to load the rod more effectively. A "push with the upperhand/pull with the lower" punch can help---as can learning how to cast with a longer drop. One thing I do is incorporate the power stroke of the pendulum into my regular overhead cast. I'll face the beach, take a good stance with my left foot facing "3 o'clock" and my right at "5:30 o'clock" ( 12 o'clock being the water) bend my knees with the rod held at 7 o'clock, use a 4-6 foot drop between my rod tip and the plug, and smoothly rotate my entire body into the cast, finishing with that "push/pull" punch to make sure I throw high. Pull that butt thru the cast with your lower hand and you'll automatically punch out with the upper hand. You'll be surprised at how much farther your lure flies, with much less effort, than trying to cast with your arms and soulders alone.

I've seen Ron reel a 3-1/2 oz Polaris up to 12" of his rod tip and "punch" it out there 120 yards---but that's Ron ;) I need a little more help loading my rod, and that longer drop helps me do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.